joelpresmyk8

BIGGEST pig you've seen? (Pics)

biggest ever that i've taken weighed 52 lbs field dressed hanging on the ranchers cattle scale- it was the smallest of 3 boars in the area . one pregnant female made them all look small - she looked like a large over stuffed potbelly pig- with belly draggin the ground

Let me re-phrase myself. Sometimes when we do the best we can at stalking an animal, instead of losing a trophy we've worked hard for. We are able to utilize modern technology to harvest that animal cleanly.

Our inability to get closer can be salvaged by our equipment and shooting ability. That is a really good shot on not a large target. The ability you showed in doing the shot cleanly shows your dedication to understanding your equipment well. Again sweet rifle, I would be interested in caliber. Very few hunters I know of could pull that shot off cleanly. I know a lot who say they could, but come up short when the time comes to do it. I do agree with one of the other members, you can probably cut the meat with a fork. I shot a VERY small deer once and it was wonderful tablefare. Again at that yardage and that size target, good shot.

Cessna,

Yeah like I said I didn't know if I was misunderstanding your post and I apologize if I took if wrong. I guess I just didn't want to be looked at like I was trying for a far shot on something small for no reason. But I do appreciate the kind words! Thank you. It is a 30-06.

Hopefully this works. It's the kill shot. I edited it down cause there was another 2 minutes of me yelling and celebrating. And just excuse my excitement. I never know how to react when I'm happy!

trim.6DBE0F8A-818C-4540-A621-CC7FFA2138E4.MOV

Nice job Joel! got'r done and yes extremely hard to judge size at that distance when only 1 oinker or bear. As for how big they get,, after reading some of the members posts on here im feeling pretty good about some of my success. ;) that is a purrrrrrdy rifle ya gots. congrats keep up that good shootin

• Like 1

I would just wrap it in a tortilla and eat on the way back to the truck

I'm eating an ice cream cone and I almost spit it up from laughing!!!!!!!! :)

I live in a trailer park and there's a Wallmart in town here. You don't want Me to post pics, male or Female............BOB!

I am most definitely talking about live weight being higher than meat weaight, and what everyone states. Just like with fish. You weigh a live fish and post the weight, not how much the fillets weigh. Or live weights of deer or elk. We got 410 pounds of meat from my daughter's elk, I would assume approximately 700 on the hoof? My deer netted 101 pounds of meat approximately. I figured 200+ on the hoof. Who talks about meat weight when judging game? Would you look at a mule deer and tell someone that it was a 100# deer? Or see a mature bull elk and say it was a 400# bull? Or a 110" Coues and say it was a 45# buck? Or a 5' long catfish and say it is a 25# fish? No one I ever met would.

Our two javis last year were 52 & 53 pounds respectively. Field dressed weights were 43 & 44 pounds. Meat weight was about 20# each.

• Like 1

My average weight of a filed dressed Javelina is around 30-40 lbs. My largest I have taken was in 26m 2 years ago and he was 56 lbs field dressed. I would guess 10lbs bigger than my previous big pig, and I have taken 15 so far.

By field dressed, I mean gutted, head and hide still attached. He was an exceptional pig that was living high on the hog in neighborhoods. This year my pig might have pushed the 20lb mark field dressed. I did not shoot it by mistake, it was the only pig that volunteered to catch my arrow. All the others wanted to stay in the bush.

• Like 1

Over the 67 years I have hunted in Arizona, it has only been in the last few years that I have noticed that some hunters quote live weights for the javelinas they kill.

They never say "about 40 pounds." They say "it weighed 52 pounds" or "it weighed 47 pounds," etc. Are hunters carrying scales now?

Incidentally, I have never heard any hunter quote a live weight for the deer or elk he shot. Bill Quimby

• Like 2

I actually do carry a scale with me! I use my bow scale in the field for pigs/turkeys. I also have a fish scale on my boat. So when I say my daughter caught a 4lb. 8oz. largemouth, it is an accurate reading. Not for deer or elk of course. I am too short to hold those up off the ground. And I have a scale at my house where I skin/butcher my pigs too. Deer and elk are usually cut up in the field, as I am never lucky enough to get one close enough to a road to load it whole. Like I could be so lucky.

I read a ton of articles/threads where people state live weight for the deer they shoot. Especially the bruisers from the mid-west, down south, and north of the border, but out in the west too. Always talking about deer that are 250# on the hoof (or live weight). A lot of times it is accompanied by the approximate score as well.

• Like 1

It is a one man job to weigh a javelina, weighing deer and elk takes quite a bit more effort. Javelina come out of the field whole for the most of us, ( some guys debone them in the field) but most deer and elk are quartered or deboned in the field due to their size. This is why it is hard to get an actual live weight on these animals. It is not worth the extra effort of dragging a deer all the way out, just to see what it weighed.

• Like 1

"Javelina come out of the field whole for most of us." ........ I, and everyone I have ever hunted with, gut all of our javelinas and other big game animals at the kill site. To each his own, I guess. Bill Quimby

• Like 2

LOL! I figured you hunted enough in your life to know that it was gutted in the field..... I guess you have to explain everything to some...