firstcoueswas110

Does Working Out Help You Hunt Better?

I change my stance on this. Being out of shape is good for your hunting skills. It keeps you close to the main roads where it's easier to get your harvested game out and it makes you slow down and glass more, close to main roads of course. I'd like to encourage other hunters to get as fat and out of shape as possible. It can only make you a better Hunter. See you all out there, within a half mile of major roads of course!

I agree Havasu, especially if the out of shape hunter is on a quad. Guaranteed to never leave the road. This is much easier and safer way to hunt and everyone should try it and not walk around so much in the back country.

This is an older topic but something I've found interesting as of lately. To echo WHT_MTNMAN:

Hunting can be easier....if you're simply in better shape.

But there's no substitute to what's gained with time spent in the field. Period. I know a former professional MMA fighter who loves to hunt. He's in his late 30's and far from past his prime. He's in incredible shape. INCREDIBLE! But he's an average hunter. In fact, I know more "out of shape" hunters who are far better hunters than he is. Nothing against him, it's just where he chooses to spend his time.

Let's not confuse gym rats who hunt......with those who are arguably "better hunters".

The better shape you're in, the easier time you'll have.

Flexibility and stretching is all too important as well. We do these things to prevent injury in the middle of nowhere, with your 80 lb pack and the meat on the way to a cooler.

Or how about the two bucks you saw on top of the peak? Maybe they'll come down and you wont have to hike. (Yeah right).

I don't think there's an argument for staying out of shape.. and besides, there's other reasons to stay in decent shape.

Excercise is way over rated. Couple years ago I worked like crazy before the season. At least a couple weeks. My mule never noticed and still got me there at about the same speed. Hunt smarter, not harder. Lark

• Like 3

Lift, run, shoot everyday. Work hard hunt easy! Look up camrom hannses YouTube videos

I work out and hike but can't do what Cameron Hanes does, that is all he does!!

Not better.... probably easier though. I always have to laugh about all the "Training to Hunt" stuff.... I am always fat and out of shape... it has Never stopped me from killing good stuff, just sayin'....

• Like 2

Yes it helps a bunch. 5-7-10 or 30 days into a season you won't be nearly as tired. Kill 5-9 miles back in somewhere and the last shape you want to be is round. :)

Stay classy trphyhntr.....

Depends on hunt. I think back east whitetail hunters that ride a bad boy buggy from there garage to tree stand don't need conditioning oh and those 20 yd shots "easy". Now elk hunt 10k ft no road access lucky to get a forty yd shot might need to be in better shape just my opinion

No

I can't do the type of hunting that I want to do right now because I am not in good enough shape. I killed a small buck in 24B in November and the pack out just about killed me, because of the shape that I am in. It was about 2 miles and 700' elevation gain to get the buck out.

I know that there are great hunters who are not in the best shape, and others who are in excellent shape that aren't very good hunters. I just want to get in better shape so that I can get further away from the crowds without having to dread the return trip too much.

IMO the most important factor in being successful at taking big animals is time spent in the field. Time in the field before and during your hunt. Being in shape undoubtedly helps you stay in the field longer without discomfort. Not saying being in shape makes you a better hunter. Plenty of fat dudes are great hunters and plenty of Cameron Hanes wannabes can't hunt. But being in shape definitely makes it more comfortable to be whatever kind of hunter you are for a longer period of time. Even a broken clock is right twice a day!

Guest 300ultramag.

Don't matter what shape ur in. If you slam the truck door. The hunt is over. Or didn't pattern your shotgun? Over

• Like 1

Guest 300ultramag.

I could see it being a wash. The better shape your in the more stuff you carry at least for me. You have all day to hunt...go slow and be as successful as you want. The more you hike the more deer you walk past.

• Like 1