murfys69law

Game meat choice?

1. elk

2. duck

3. catfish

4. deer (I really want to taste an Eastern Whitetail which may cause #4 to jump up on my list)

I can't wait to try lion. It's supposed to be the BEST game meat from what I've heard.

Lark: I like your "livers with wings." It says it all. I feel the same about wild ducks and geese (I could eat my weight in fatty domestic ducks and geese, though). You and I cook our elk the same way, thin with a crisp batter. I like mashed potatoes with white gravy and green beans on the side ..........

Nature Girl: I've eaten meat from the lions (African and American), bobcats and caracal I killed. All had a similar distinctive taste, and all had lean and white meat. However, I only rank cat meat okay to good, and far from the best of meat....... Bill Quimby

• Like 1

Lark. I agree on how you cook your meat as well. That's how my dad cooked it when we were growing up. My wife prefers it grilled but I like it fried with fried potatoes an smothered in gravy. It's good for the heart to fight off those heart attacks. Exercise!!!

If it is well cared for I can make it taste great.

• Like 1

Az/nm Antelope, Coues, Midwest whitetail, bighorn sheep, moose, cow or young bull elk, buffalo...... Excellent

Most game birds minus waterfowl and doves....... Yummy!

Bull elk, mule deer, caribou, and a few others....... Good if prepped and cooked right

Javelina, bears......pepper sticks and sausage....... Still good stuff

Say what you will but the 2 mule deer my family killed this year were the best eating animals I've had. One from 3c one from 12a both dropped like a sack of potatoes. I don't know if a clean kill helps that much or anything but Dang they're good

• Like 1

Say what you will but the 2 mule deer my family killed this year were the best eating animals I've had. One from 3c one from 12a both dropped like a sack of potatoes. I don't know if a clean kill helps that much or anything but Dang they're good

Some of the best game meat I've had is Mule deer as well, but elk and antelope is better. White tails in the middle, with the two Coues bucks I've killed being as good as eastern whitetail does, but all whitetail is pretty decent.

Worst game meat I've had was a gut shot Mule deer my buddy got. We could barely choke it down even with plenty of beer after hiking all day Elk hunting. I love deer, but that thing was just foul! It was also an old buck on the decline. Feral pig is decent, but one we killed must have had some meat touched with unclean hands, because even the back straps were pretty Musky tasting.

All that being said, I'll never turn down a piece of Game meat from anything if it's properly cared for. I even like doves and pigeons.

Don't know if anyone has ever heard this but i was told years ago that if you shoot an animal and runs for a while before dropping , the meat can get pretty bad tasting. I wouldn't know as I have never had one run after the shot. This is excluding archery tho. Only had one drop and that was a Javi. Broke his back.

Surprised by all the caribou votes... Growing up in AK may have jaded me a little, but the best bou is jerkey - and that is a relative term.

My ranks?

Dall Sheep

Pronghorn

Moose

Elk (young cow is just criminally good)

Bison

Lots of close ones after that.

And as for birds?

Ptarmigan

Quail

Pheasant

Goose

Duck

Man what type of promghorn are you guys eating?? I think the stuff tastes like fermented garbage

Man what type of promghorn are you guys eating?? I think the stuff tastes like fermented garbage

We are eating Pronghorn that has been properly cleaned and cooled rapidly, being very careful to not get dirt or fluids on the meat. It's very good when that happens. I hear people say how bad it is in WY, UT and MT all the time. It is a meat that spoils rapidly and is hinted in hot temps so has to be dealt with quick. Deer is much more tolerant of slower cooling,

• Like 2

We are eating Pronghorn that has been properly cleaned and cooled rapidly, being very careful to not get dirt or fluids on the meat. It's very good when that happens. I hear people say how bad it is in WY, UT and MT all the time. It is a meat that spoils rapidly and is hinted in hot temps so has to be dealt with quick. Deer is much more tolerant of slower cooling,

I think that's why mine was so wonderful. I had it quatered and on ice withing 1 hour. Best meat to this day I think.

Surprised by all the caribou votes... Growing up in AK may have jaded me a little, but the best bou is jerkey - and that is a relative term.

I agree I was surprised at all the high rankings for caribou - I did not grow up in Alaska, but I would not put caribou above elk, deer, moose or musk ox.