murfys69law

Game meat choice?

Where I hunt in 36B there are a lot of scrub oak trees, not every year but when there are acorns on those trees those Coues eat them like candy, which makes their meat taste even better. IMHO. Noticed nobody has Javelina for there number one choice, I've choched down a couple of them, there isn't enough BBQ sauce, onions and garlic to make them edible. The last few years my Bud has made sausage out of them, mix enough pork and spices with them and they aren't that bad.

Where I hunt in 36B there are a lot of scrub oak trees, not every year but when there are acorns on those trees those Coues eat them like candy, which makes their meat taste even better. IMHO. Noticed nobody has Javelina for there number one choice, I've choched down a couple of them, there isn't enough BBQ sauce, onions and garlic to make them edible. The last few years my Bud has made sausage out of them, mix enough pork and spices with them and they aren't that bad.

javi is ok. For a true favorite the meat itself has to stand alone. No BBQ, no nothing! If you had a meat to eat forever, Plain! What would it be.

Thanks to all you meat lovers. Some on here I have never had and wish I could. The Oryx sounds great and I did have Mt Lion once years ago but don'r remember. Caribou would be another I would like to try. As far as Javelina go. I do have a recipe and it's not to bad. But remember, you put enough BBQ sauce on a turd you can eat it...just saying.

• Like 1

Guest akaspecials

1. Feral hogs

2. Moose

3. Elk

4. Midwestern Corn Fed Whitetails

Meat care, diet, and age of animal determines the taste the most though!

The best I've had in Arizona is the little 2 year old forky muley I shot in 2013 at about 8500 in elevation. That guys was tasty and so tender you didn't even need to cut the steaks, you could just break off bites with the side of the fork. If you want good meat, shoot the little guys!

Second I'd say is cow elk, for Az.

The best wild meat I've had from any location though was a New Jersey whitetail doe that was shot out of a cornfield. Good stuff there!

#1 Mt.Lion (hands down)

#2 (Tie) elk/antelope

#3 (tie) black buck/fallow

#4 (tie) coues/mule deer

I've eaten a good amount of four different species of deer as well as elk and pronghorn. They all taste the same to me. :(

My top favorites are:

Antelope

Moose

Oryx

Coues deer

Looks like we agree Amanda. Moose was my favorite until this Antelope.

I was blown away by the first Pronghorn meat I had. Just incredible. I was assuming big game was part of the original question. If birds and small game are included I'd have to say Pheasant, squirrels and jack rabbit is pretty good too.

Game meat ranked from best to worst:

1. African antelope, especially eland, kudu, springbok, impala, gemsbok/oryx (in that order).

2. Moose.

3. White-tailed deer from the Texas Hill Country.

4 Bison/Cape buffalo.

5. Pronghorn, especially from Wyoming's farming areas.

6. Elk/red deer.

6. Arizona mule deer/whitetail deer.

7. Wild turkey.

8. Cottontail

9. Quail

10. Himalayan tahr

11. Chamois

12. Mountain lion/African lion/bobcat/caracal.

13. Javelina

14. Wild duck

15. Canada goose.

16. Feral goat

17. Desert bighorn.

18. Black bear.

• Like 3

Oops! I forgot caribou (which I rank somewhere near pronghorn and elk/red deer) and doves (which I rank among the very worst) with black bear.

Bill Quimby

i agree Bill, dove ain't nothin' but livers with wings, if ya ax me. my favorite is a tie, pronghorn and 2 year old desert muley buck. elk runs a close second. cut thin, little salt and black pepper, flop it in flour, fry it in a hot pan with new grease. then make gravy with the crunchys and some bisuits. cant eat javelina. and i'm tough. tried too many times. rank. lion, ok. bear, if i'm starvin'. coyote, ugh, you don't wanna know. wild turkey, quail, pheasant, grouse, food of the gods, for special occasions. all fish except carp, mmmmmmmmm. Lark.

• Like 1