joelpresmyk8

Such a shame what shed hunting as come to

JustinB,

Not sure how many people are complaining they can't find sheds, Just most are not happy with the people driving the roads there not suppose to be on,

or cross country. I met up with one guy carries cutters so he can drive thru all the barb wire fences. and as for them flying unit 9 they have been doing this for several years but they have to start somewhere. they picked this unit because they can make the most money with the fines

but there are way more units besides 9. when do they look to the other units?

And for whoever said this might lead to a shed season this wouldn't stop the guys driving down all these roads take a look at some of the other states and see how many guys have piles stashed for opening morning this will hurt 80 percent of the guys following the rules not the bad guys.

• Like 3

What about installing some punji sticks on these "closed" roads to treat the bad guys' tires to a lesson?

JustinB,

Not sure how many people are complaining they can't find sheds, Just most are not happy with the people driving the roads there not suppose to be on,

or cross country. I met up with one guy carries cutters so he can drive thru all the barb wire fences. and as for them flying unit 9 they have been doing this for several years but they have to start somewhere. they picked this unit because they can make the most money with the fines

but there are way more units besides 9. when do they look to the other units?

And for whoever said this might lead to a shed season this wouldn't stop the guys driving down all these roads take a look at some of the other states and see how many guys have piles stashed for opening morning this will hurt 80 percent of the guys following the rules not the bad guys.

My point is similar to the one your making. It doesn't matter how many laws or rules are in place. The people doing this stuff are going to do it either way. The chances of getting caught are slim and they are lazy. so they are going for risk it.

As for your question about unit 9 you would need to ask forest service and g and f. I couldn't answer when they will start in other units. I can only attest to the fact that there has been a noticeable difference in the amount of off road traffic since they started enforcement there.

I would say that though there are problems in other states those same states seem to take wildlife management much more seriously and try to put the game first by establishing seasons to TRY and limit the pressure on already weakened animals coming off a tough rut and even tougher winter in most cases and in these states there are far fewer pushing animals through the snow in February, March and April.

My posts were more make the best out of a bad situation . These same quads that upset so many can also work to your benefit if you figure out where the animals get pushed to. Further back deeper thicker cover. Get in those areas see fewer quad tracks and find more sheds

Also I am 56 years old and I am getting tired of having to walk in 6-8 miles only to find some kid parked there.

The guy I hunt with is 66 and will walk circles around me all day long with a smile. I have learned a lot from him. Part of what I learned is we are out there because we love it whether we find a shed or not. There is always something that makes the day worth it.

PUNJI STICKS come on guy that isn't even a nice thing to think about (very stupid thing to say if you ask me)

makes you wonder how was doing that in one of the units ,I bet they are still looking to find the person or persons that were doing that

• Like 1

I'm very surprised that shed hunting isn't already more restricted. For one, the kind of stupidity discussed in this thread and two, the fact that there are actually animals in the Eco system that rely on them for minerals. I'm sure I'll get called a hippy or some stupid shoot for pointing that out, but it is fact. Not sure if enough are removed to affect anything, but you can bet it will be studied more as shed hunting gets more and more ridiculous.

Punji sticks in the road was meant as an obvious joke. The anti-reversal spikes at pay parking lots was the dreamchild for that comic idea. The point being, nothing placed on roads keeps non-law abiding individuals out. They will drive around boulders, right through earth mounds deterrents, and cut locks and barbed wire that block the way, as stated previously.

I'm very surprised that shed hunting isn't already more restricted. For one, the kind of stupidity discussed in this thread and two, the fact that there are actually animals in the Eco system that rely on them for minerals. I'm sure I'll get called a hippy or some stupid shoot for pointing that out, but it is fact. Not sure if enough are removed to affect anything, but you can bet it will be studied more as shed hunting gets more and more ridiculous.

they can have some of the mineral salt I put out.. tell them little rodents to leave the sheds for me..quit chewing them up.

James

• Like 1

I have never been out specifically shed hunting in the spring...just keep a sharp eye when I am out for fun and spring turkey. I usually find sheds during fall hunting, which is a real treat. I have never sold a shed. I like them too much to sell. I have a pile that I display in my house. The money is usually what drives the lunacy...makes people go nuts. I prefer not to participate.

Years ago I was a member of Sheriff Joe's posse. I presented this idea to a G&F officer once. He didn't like the idea much. It seems it would be a good idea to have a G&F posse program to have more eyes and ears in the outdoors. The officers are spread way too thin. Basically, have a radio to report violations real time, take pictures if possible, and be a good witness. Heck, if we had the program/support of the G&F, I would even buy my own radio. We all witness illegal/unethical behavior, and I would love to be able to do something about it.

• Like 2

No offense but they have that already that. Operation game thief. If you see something say something. Just this past deer season I called the Forrest service and OGT when some hunters were on quads in a closed area to motor vehicles. Got good response time and those fellers got citations and told to leave. Sometimes the system works.

I'd be willing to bet that a fair share of these people that everyone "hates" and finds "disgusting" are actually completely ignorant to the fact that they are doing anything wrong, especially if the theory that they just recently go into it is correct.

The hunting community is, generally speaking, much more aware of forest/wilderness/game laws than any non-hunting member of the public. In fact, I know a lot of people that do hunt who never bother to crack the binding on a set of regs.

I'm sure there's a couple that just don't care and are out there just trying to piss everyone off, but I have to think that most are just blissfully ignorant and will remain so until someone tells them otherwise or until they get a ticket.

I totally beg to differ mattys281. Ignorance of the law is NOOO excuse!!!. There are people that shed hunt that don't even hunt. Many do however own a quad, rhino, polaris, bike etc... and there are NUMEROUS laws regarding the offroad use of these vehicles. My thoughts are, They don't give a dang and it will hurt the hunters or outdoorsman that are ethical and follow the law. Book em dano is what I say..NO EXCUSE for this to happen.

I'd be willing to bet that a fair share of these people that everyone "hates" and finds "disgusting" are actually completely ignorant to the fact that they are doing anything wrong, especially if the theory that they just recently go into it is correct.

The hunting community is, generally speaking, much more aware of forest/wilderness/game laws than any non-hunting member of the public. In fact, I know a lot of people that do hunt who never bother to crack the binding on a set of regs.

I'm sure there's a couple that just don't care and are out there just trying to piss everyone off, but I have to think that most are just blissfully ignorant and will remain so until someone tells them otherwise or until they get a ticket.

I totally beg to differ mattys281. Ignorance of the law is NOOO excuse!!!. There are people that shed hunt that don't even hunt. Many do however own a quad, rhino, polaris, bike etc... and there are NUMEROUS laws regarding the offroad use of these vehicles. My thoughts are, They don't give a dang and it will hurt the hunters or outdoorsman that are ethical and follow the law. Book em dano is what I say..NO EXCUSE for this to happen.

I'm not trying to excuse anyone, I just don't think there's the sense of malice that others seem to think is there. I know too many people who naively think you can go out in the forest and basically do whatever you want. Especially people that are new to it. They think you can drive anywhere, camp any where, shoot anywhere, etc.

I encountered a guy on a side by side a few years ago that was cruising down a closed logging road I'd walked down with his kid. They stopped to say good morning and ask if I'd seen anything. I chatted with them a little and politely explained that they'd crossed the wilderness boundary and were in big trouble if caught. They thanked me, turned around and left.

Is that the rare case? Maybe. But he wasn't a lazy disrespectful slob, he was just ignorant about where he was.

When it comes to 4 wheeler use for all uses, I'd say there are unfortunately a very large number lazy slobs that just don't give a crap about tge laws and their ethics. They bought a 30k machine and they're going to go wherever the heck they want . There is a mentality that they won't get caught in roadless areas, I've seen it very blatantly.

The other issue specific to shed hunying that I never really thought of until now, because I don't do it is the harassment of game. Not sure how bad it is, but several people have mention chasing the herds around. That just plain sucks if that's the case.

I'm not fundamentally against shed hunting myself, it just happens during prime fishing time. I will pick up a shed here and there during summer scouting or fall hunting though few make it that far anymore.

I'm not trying to excuse anyone, I just don't think there's the sense of malice that others seem to think is there. I know too many people who naively think you can go out in the forest and basically do whatever you want. Especially people that are new to it. They think you can drive anywhere, camp any where, shoot anywhere, etc.

I encountered a guy on a side by side a few years ago that was cruising down a closed logging road I'd walked down with his kid. They stopped to say good morning and ask if I'd seen anything. I chatted with them a little and politely explained that they'd crossed the wilderness boundary and were in big trouble if caught. They thanked me, turned around and left.

Is that the rare case? Maybe. But he wasn't a lazy disrespectful slob, he was just ignorant about where he was.

That I would say is the rare case Matt. My point is , If you buy a quad, side by side or any off road vehicle including jeeps and the like, IT IS your responibilty to yourself and others to learn, research, buy a map or even contact the appropriate parties ahead of time to find out what, where, when and how you can leagally go into the outdoors and do it without being in violation of the law. Anyone can plead stupidity but it doesn't excuse the fact that they are not following the law. Lake pleasant is a prime example. NO jet skiing areas that are closed MEANS. NO jet skiing! Because someone rode past the bouy that it was written on and says they didn't see it doesn't excuse the fact that it's prohibited.

In the great words of Ron White......You can't fix stupid. Definition of DUE DILIGENCE. 1: the care that a reasonable person exercises to avoid harm to other persons or their property.