Sign in to follow this  
Flingingarrowsbro

Rage Hypodermics

Absolutely against using mechanical heads for elk..... but have been hearing a few good things about this BH. Has anyone used this for elk and if so what were the pro's, con's and would you use it again. Currently going to be using a slick trick but was curiosity is gaining for the hypodermic

In my personal opinion anyone who is so against mechanical broad heads has either not used one, or blamed a bad shot on the broad head "not opening". I've killed 3 bulls in the past 5 years with mechanicals and would not hesitate to do it again. My first 2 bulls I shot with the original rages and my last was shot with a swhacker. (34,50,51 yards) all were complete pass throughs and they all died with in eyesight. The rages make nasty holes! I did switch to the gravediggers recently because of the rages deploying in my quiver. That being said, when you make a bad shot with a broad head that makes huge holes, you gave a better chance of harvesting that animal then you do with a small hole 1 inch from a slick trick. However a heart or lung shot with any head will do the job.

• Like 5

I agree with AZHUNTER, I switched to a mechanical after loosing a bull I hit in the chest with a fixed head. The last 2 bulls I killed where with a Swhacker, one I hit bad but he only went 150 yards, the other one (In profile pic) I hit in the chest and watched him go down after 50 yards! I will not shoot anything else!

For me it is Swhacker if I am shooting mechanical or Slick Trick for fixed. But since I can't recall the last time I drew a tag, and am beginning to feel like I may never draw another one again, I guess it really doesn't matter.

• Like 3

For me it is Swhacker if I am shooting mechanical or Slick Trick for fixed. But since I can't recall the last time I drew a tag, and am beginning to feel like I may never draw another one again, I guess it really doesn't matter.

Been so long for me too Rossislider I took my broad-heads and started shaving with them. Too expensive to let rust away.....lark :ph34r:

• Like 1

I use the Rage Hypodermics out here in the Midwest on whitetails.

so far I'm super impressed with blood trails and them dropping within sight.

I used to be a diehard Slicktrick fan but more often than not i got pretty poor blood trails if any at all.

So i switched....Id not hesitate to use em on Elk

I ueed rages, after a javi hunt I decided they were a bit to easy to pop open and fragile during and after impact. After some trials I went gravedigger. Both coc and chizel tips. Wow they are tough and reliable. Its all I use in my wheelbows now.

Used them for a couple seasons but never got one in an animal. I have since switched to Gravediggers and they work great. Nothing against rage I know lots of bulls that have died from them. The only drawback I saw was they wanted to open in my quiver. I know some guys who put a little tape on them to keep them closed and a very famous bowhunter who used to wrap a very very thin copper wire around them when he shot them (now he has a broadhead named after him)

The hypodermic bh uses a completely different blade retention system the the other rage bh. I am not personally a fan of them but I have seen them do some extensive damage.

My brother has had great luck with both the hypodermic and the original rage 2 blade on elk. One bull made it about 15 yards and the other maybe 50 yards at the most. I may be using the hypodermic this year for elk

Some great experiences with the new hypodermic! I'm slowly being swayed to use it.

Only two worries now, how does it perform on quartering shots and has anyone had a blade deploy early because of a tiny twig or a piece of brush that caught a blade mid-flight ?

Although mechanical broadheads have come a looong way and i think a lot of them do work very well, they still add a variable to your hunt. When you hunt there are sooo many variables that you DO NOThave any control over, why not eliminate every variable you DO have control over? tough, sharp, proven fixed blade. No room for error

Although mechanical broadheads have come a looong way and i think a lot of them do work very well, they still add a variable to your hunt. When you hunt there are sooo many variables that you DO NOThave any control over, why not eliminate every variable you DO have control over? tough, sharp, proven fixed blade. No room for error

They can also make all the difference by cutting an artery on a poor shot that would otherwise be missed by a fixed head.

• Like 1