el diablo

Results available

I'll take a messed up draw every year in trade for the quality of animals arizona has potentially around every corner in every unit . It's easy to look at specific mess ups, and over look the big picture. I would give the honor to the az game and fish for us having the biggest representations of the critters we all like to hunt. Let them make the small mistakes in trade for the big rewards like receiving an arizona elk tag. There's a reason our tags sell for the most at auction!!!

• Like 3

I'll take a messed up draw every year in trade for the quality of animals arizona has potentially around every corner in every unit . It's easy to look at specific mess ups, and over look the big picture. I would give the honor to the az game and fish for us having the biggest representations of the critters we all like to hunt. Let them make the small mistakes in trade for the big rewards like receiving an arizona elk tag. There's a reason our tags sell for the most at auction!!!

giving the honor to game and fish for having big animals? Hahaha that's the funniest thing I've heard all year. We have big animals because of genetics.
  • Like 1

giving the honor to game and fish for having big animals? Hahaha that's the funniest thing I've heard all year. We have big animals because of genetics.

AZ G&F do not deserve credit for the size and quality of game in AZ, besides offering water in some areas. That part is correct. Where I disagree is claiming superior genetics. Almost all Rocky Mt elk in this country come from a gene pool in Yellowstone park that, itself, had their population reduced as low as 557 animals before the turn of the century. So almost all the elk in this country, minus the Roosevelts, come from a very small gene pool. The Yellowstone elk were released in this state in the late 20's. Less than 90 years is not a long time to deviate much from original genetic source.

The reason why elk get so dang big here is the same reason why there are so many retirees here. Mild winters.

• Like 1

Bone777 i realize you haven't been hunting long enough to fully understand the dynamics of why big animals exist or don't exist(this is not a put down, just a fact based on your age). I've guided in or hunted just about every western state and multiple units within each state. After seeing the quality our state has to offer, it's with a very educated and more so seasoned opinion i make the claims i just did about our game and fish department here in az. There isn't a coues deer unit, mule deer unit, or elk unit i couldn't drag a giant out of here in az, not one!! This isn't cause i'm saying i'm superman, but because our department has chosen to allow this to happen. Genes don't go very far if they get shot out before the culmination of said genes. Our game and fish allows animals to reach maturity, and yes with those genes several grow to a huge size. There's several other states that have the same quality genes that our state has but it's almost embarrassing what they produce. That's why most of new mexico is littered with medium sized bulls, and has only a few units that produce the bulls i like to shoot. I could name off 30 other case study units across the west that have genes equal to ours but pail in comparison to az's quality. It's not your fault that you think it's funny what i said earlier but if you think you can just chalk up to our quality to genes you have a lot to learn about animal dynamics. Step outside this state and spend a 3 or 400 days in other states like i have over the last 20 years, and you'll see what i said earlier is very true and correct. We absolutely have the best game and fish department in the west, and the reason we have the biggest critters is because of that department.

• Like 2

Bone777 i realize you haven't been hunting long enough to fully understand the dynamics of why big animals exist or don't exist(this is not a put down, just a fact based on your age). I've guided in or hunted just about every western state and multiple units within each state. After seeing the quality our state has to offer, it's with a very educated and more so seasoned opinion i make the claims i just did about our game and fish department here in az. There isn't a coues deer unit, mule deer unit, or elk unit i couldn't drag a giant out of here in az, not one!! This isn't cause i'm saying i'm superman, but because our department has chosen to allow this to happen. Genes don't go very far if they get shot out before the culmination of said genes. Our game and fish allows animals to reach maturity, and yes with those genes several grow to a huge size. There's several other states that have the same quality genes that our state has but it's almost embarrassing what they produce. That's why most of new mexico is littered with medium sized bulls, and has only a few units that produce the bulls i like to shoot. I could name off 30 other case study units across the west that have genes equal to ours but pail in comparison to az's quality. It's not your fault that you think it's funny what i said earlier but if you think you can just chalk up to our quality to genes you have a lot to learn about animal dynamics. Step outside this state and spend a 3 or 400 days in other states like i have over the last 20 years, and you'll see what i said earlier is very true and correct. We absolutely have the best game and fish department in the west, and the reason we have the biggest critters is because of that department.

being a kiss @$$ isn't going to make it easier to get tags

• Like 1

being a kiss @$$ isn't going to make it easier to get tags

How would kissing butt get me a tag if they don't even know my name. Anyone that knows me, knows i almost never kiss butt in any situation, but i like giving credit where credit is do though!!!

Ignorance at its best right there .... There are many reasons besides genetics as to why there are better quality animals in some states versus others ... herd management is a big one and that comes down to tags and game and fish .... Range is another and game and fish has been sponsoring for decades projects with other organizations as well as by themselves ways to ensure water catchments in various units to maximize the range of our animals. The scary part is that it could even be better and you only need look at the minor variations of the WMAT and how they manage the herds that constantly produce monsters... Those rag horn hunts do a lot to cull the population and ensure quality Bulls year after year. Talk to any Elk hunter in the nation and they will tell you if you want quantity look at places like NM and Colorado ... If you want Quality look at AZ. For anyone to deny that our G&F has nothing to do with that shows pure ignorance about how wildlife management works.

Maybe you did not know less than 100 years ago there were no Elk in AZ ... And only about 90,000 in the entire country ...

http://www.gf.state.az.us/h_f/game_elk.shtml

https://www.elks.org/lodges/LodgePages.cfm?LodgeNumber=536&ID=368

Haha man I love seeing the guys that think kissing a$$ on a forum is gonna be good for them in the long run. I'll give credit to the genetics and habitat but there's no way you're gonna convince me that azgfd has caused our animals to be big. The only reason 3c doesn't have top tier animals anymore is because of azgfd killing them off. They are doing the same in 27 and 1. Give it a few years and quality will be down big time there. The Arizona strip has huge deer because of genetics. If you argue with that I don't know what to tell you. The strip is some of the most rough and desolate country you'll see yet every year there are monster bucks. That's not because of mild winters. But continue on. . Keep worshipping them and praising them. I get a kick out of seeing which one of you guys have your noses stuck up azgfd's butt.

I also enjoy the conceded attitude of well since I'm older and I've hunted longer I'm right and your wrong. Listen to me because I'm old and have hunted everywhere. You're young so you don't know anything. Haha classic

The only program which will help more hunters get drawn - That's what we all want is an elk tag -

by rotating the numbers - that means a waiting period 1 yr 2 yr even 3 yrs - after you successfully draw a tag.

G&F would lose no $$$$ if they allow the successful tag holders to apply for bonus points while they wait 2 yrs or even 3 yrs

G&F still gets their money - different people will actually draw a tag and those who wait will start their next draw with 4-5 points if you add loyalty and hunter ed. this will also help those whom like to hunt out of state to make plans

If they can do this one thing - I'll be impressed and quit be - itchin

I've waited 5 even 10 yrs to get a tag but with a new system - I might actually get 3 or 4 more tags while I can still hunt

• Like 2

Haha man I love seeing the guys that think kissing a$$ on a forum is gonna be good for them in the long run. I'll give credit to the genetics and habitat but there's no way you're gonna convince me that azgfd has caused our animals to be big. The only reason 3c doesn't have top tier animals anymore is because of azgfd killing them off. They are doing the same in 27 and 1. Give it a few years and quality will be down big time there. The Arizona strip has huge deer because of genetics. If you argue with that I don't know what to tell you. The strip is some of the most rough and desolate country you'll see yet every year there are monster bucks. That's not because of mild winters. But continue on. . Keep worshipping them and praising them. I get a kick out of seeing which one of you guys have your noses stuck up azgfd's butt.

You realize that you're contradicting your own argument with your reasoning on 3c and 27 & 1, don't you??? ;)

Man, I can hardly wait for the results! Like many others, I know I have an archery bull tag but don't know which unit yet! Can't wait for this thread to get back to the original topic! :D

S.

:)

How'd this thread go from, "I see my results, YEHAW!!!" or "I can't see anything yet - CRAP!" to "I know more than you do..."?

haha...fun to read I guess taking our minds off the fact that we really don't know the results yet...

fun time of year if you get a tag, not so much if not. All I know for sure is they haven't posted the results as of 5 minutes ago. :)

• Like 1