couesfreak23

Best camo patterns for for southern Arizona hunting

What camo's do you think blend the best in units such as the 36 units in southern Arizona. Right now I use zonz western camo from cabelas but going to upgrade clothing this year so the patterns im looking at are kuiu verde and vias, first lite asat or realtree max 1, or Sitka open country optifade. Let me know what you guys use and what you think would work the best.

Any of the open patterns are fine. Camo is mostly over-rated. It has it's use when your close but if you move and they see the movement they are gone!

• Like 3

The Vias gets my vote. That pattern really breaks up the human outline and blends in with a wide variety of backgrounds. Plus, KUIU makes some of the most comfortable gear available.

• Like 1

Any of those are fine. The main thing for southern AZ, and most of the west, is it should have a light base color. Many of the camos are made for the dark hardwood forests of the east. Those camos just look like dark, out of place blobs out here.

Natural Gear is all I wear. It's subtle tan and brown tones work anywhere in Arizona. It's not expensive, saving you tons of $$$.

• Like 1

Ghillie suit!

All that you named are good. Vias is better than Verde in my opinion but all the guys not located in the west kept asking for green in the Kuiu forums. It is really interesting since based on everything I have read ungulates are dichromatic and don't see green. There are a lot of articles on this and a very long discussion on the Kuiu forum. So all the pretty greens are mostly for us hunters, the dark & light contrast to break up the pattern seems to be the most important aspect.

Solid green, with "border patrol" on your cap :rolleyes:

• Like 7

Without a doubt IMO- Kings Desert Shadow. Had does at 10 yards while sitting on a tank down in 36A, just sitting on a small stool up against a tree. Lots of good spot and stalk experience down there too. Shot my last 2 archery coues wearing it, and I continue to be a big fan.

• Like 2

I seem to find myself wearing max-1 camo most of the time. I feel that its a good all-around camo with a light base color. I think I am going to try out the Kings Desert Shadow soon. Everybody who has it, seems to like it a lot and not have anything negative to say. The bundle packs they have online seem to be a good deal too!

Guest akaspecials

Whatever is cheapest. Camo is overrated. Movement and scent are what will alert most animals to your presence.

Carhart tan pants and any camo top work great down there. The grass is so high you blend in easily with tan pants. Plus the stickers and burrs dont stick to you like they do with hunting pants. I dont know why most hunting clothing companies make soft shell pants that attract every sticker known to the southwest.

• Like 5

I figured camo ain't to important when spot and stalk hunting but I just want to have any advantage I could. I really don't like the ASAT camo for first lite but I heard the clothing it self is amazingly comfortable. As for kuiu I like the Vias camo pattern but wonder if not being 100% merino wool would be a down fall due to I do not wanting to have to buy several pairs of clothing. Does any one know if kuiu is as good or better then first lite at fighting body odor also wicking away the moisture from your body? Appreiciate any more info on camo patterns and ? on kuiu vs first lite.

I have both and like both. FL is a way better company to work with. Kuiu never has inventory and you wait forever on back order. And returns are a pain in the... But the gear is solid from both.