PhxDT

Wood Fired Pizza Oven

How many of you out there have a pizza oven? I built one a couple of years back, and it produces some incredible pizzas, as well as some absolutely amazing steaks. High heat, great meat right? Anyways, AJ's is having a sale on meats right now, where all of their good stuff is 1/2 off. I picked up a couple prime filet mignons and grilled them up tonite. Memorable flavor. wow.

post-13295-0-55632800-1428810369_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

Very cool!!! Is this in your backyard? Do you have a pic showing the whole thing? I don't know anyone who built their own pizza oven, but what a fun idea. You should be able to bake bread in it too. I saw a show recently featuring some restaurant where they fire up an oven like that (but much bigger) in the morning and it holds enough heat all day to cook all kinds of things. And they schedule what they cook based on how it changes temperature during the day, so things that need the highest heat get cooked early in the day and lower heat later.

Wood fired pizza is the best. Love it cooked this way. First time I ever had it cooked this way was in Switzerland

With egg on it. Very very good

I love a good pizza. I just hate the $500 plane ticket back to Long Island that comes with it. LOL

I will go and say that Gus's in Tempe has the best crust and nice oily cheese I've found but the sauce is very bland. He says he is from NY but I have my doubts because he doesn't have anchovies. His reasoning is "this is Tempe".

Yup, pretty sure he's not going to see the pearly gates when he dies. LOL

• Like 1

Very cool!!! Is this in your backyard? Do you have a pic showing the whole thing? I don't know anyone who built their own pizza oven, but what a fun idea. You should be able to bake bread in it too. I saw a show recently featuring some restaurant where they fire up an oven like that (but much bigger) in the morning and it holds enough heat all day to cook all kinds of things. And they schedule what they cook based on how it changes temperature during the day, so things that need the highest heat get cooked early in the day and lower heat later.

Yes, it's in my backyard. I'll get back and throw up a few more pics. I do bread, steaks, pizzas, roasted veggies, anything. I even dropped the temp and smoked a turkey in it.

It's my favorite thing in the backyard.

I love a good pizza. I just hate the $500 plane ticket back to Long Island that comes with it. LOL

I will go and say that Gus's in Tempe has the best crust and nice oily cheese I've found but the sauce is very bland. He says he is from NY but I have my doubts because he doesn't have anchovies. His reasoning is "this is Tempe".

Yup, pretty sure he's not going to see the pearly gates when he dies. LOL

Awesome. Currently, my favorite pizza is Pizzeria Locale in DT Phoenix. Thanks for the suggestion.

More pix please.

I'll throw some up later today. in the mean time, here is a video of the general process of building it. Tons of fun, as projects go.

That's awesome. I'm planning on building one in my backyard too. Pizza comes out like S Italy. Fantastic and thanks for sharing!

Good video! I have been watching them on youtube as well. Is it easier now to get all the material locally? We are considering moving and if we do I want one of these instead of a grill, probably do both but I want an oven!

For those of you that built your own what is a rough estimate on cost? I know size and any ornate decorations can really add up but just a basic design estimate.

Good video! I have been watching them on youtube as well. Is it easier now to get all the material locally? We are considering moving and if we do I want one of these instead of a grill, probably do both but I want an oven!

For those of you that built your own what is a rough estimate on cost? I know size and any ornate decorations can really add up but just a basic design estimate.

I think it is about the same. It is easier, the more you want to spend. I probably ending up spending $2,500 or so- doing the work myself.

I will bring the beer...you cook the pizza...jk..great idea and sounds awesome

• Like 1

Ha, I like to do both. A few years back, I had a goal to make my own pizza and brew my own beer. So I have beer on tap in my outdoor fridge most days, and pizza is just an hour away whenever I want it.

• Like 2