Sign in to follow this  
backcountry_brad

3rd Year in a Row

I left Wednesday night to get to camp so I could spend all of thursday scouting and it was a good thing I did. I was in the same area that I've gone to for the last couple years, that had tons of action, and there was barely any gobbling to be heard. After not being able to put any turkeys to bed, I headed to a draw where I did happen to hear some gobblin. I got there around 6:30 and it was silent. So, I decided to put my decoy out and make a little blind on the edge of a meadow where I had seen a tom feeding the day before and do a little calling and see if anything would walk by. After 45 minutes of calling and waiting a group of jakes gobbled out of nowhere a few hundred yds to my left. Immediately I knew they were comin in and I grabbed my gun and turned to the side. Within a couple minutes the goup had circled and started coming in behind me. I waited for them to get closer and then shot the biggest jake in the group at 35 yds. I told myself I was gonna hold out for a tom but after little vocalization I settled for this nice jake and got it done opening morning for the 3rd year in a row!

post-12892-0-87625900-1429311903_thumb.jpg

post-12892-0-99052000-1429311934_thumb.jpg

post-12892-0-60610600-1429311949_thumb.jpg

• Like 9

heck ya that's sweet I can't wait to hunt them got my first tag this year for one of them

Nice job. We are up in unit 1. My boy had an opportunity this morning, but we couldn't quite make it happen. Birds seemed very quiet today.