Huntnchick

Broadheads for elk

Try different broad heads and whichever gives the best flight out of the rest and is accurate use it. Muzzy 4 blades in 100 grain have worked for me. Went thru a few different types before I found what shot well. Good luck.

Stories about fixed heads failing? How can they fail unless they are dull or poor shot? I shoot mechanicals have killed bulls with nap shock wave, 3 blade meat seeker, and tekan.

Thanks everyone!

I just got a brand new bow yesterday and I am so excited!!! Well it's on order since I needed a higher poundage bow. Turns out my bow was set at 61 lbs and I still have to get into shape for my hunt. I just want as high of poundage as possible so I have a better chance.

My husband has been reading all of these and he just ordered some broadheads although I am unsure which ones.

But thanks again everyone!

Thanks everyone!

I just got a brand new bow yesterday and I am so excited!!! Well it's on order since I needed a higher poundage bow. Turns out my bow was set at 61 lbs and I still have to get into shape for my hunt. I just want as high of poundage as possible so I have a better chance.

My husband has been reading all of these and he just ordered some broadheads although I am unsure which ones.

But thanks again everyone!

I wouldn't put your poundage up to high as to NOT be able to hold it back very long, you might find yourself needing to hold longer than you think possible. I would practice holding for at least two minutes maybe more.

• Like 2

Have you heard of Gravediggers? I personally have not gotten the chance to use them on elk, but have not heard one bad thing about them pertaining to the subject. Here is a review I did on them. They are fantastic broadheads. http://dialedinhunter.com/gravedigger-broadhead-review/

• Like 1

Also drawing back a higher poundage bow might be easy on targets but when your adrenalin is flowing and a big bull is in front if you you might decide then and there you hate those higher poundage bows.

I've seen people not able to draw their bow back when normally it's a piece of cake for them...even happened to me once on a large whitetail when I was younger....it weren't fun I tell you.

• Like 3

You need to be able to draw in all positions too. Standing sitting kneeing lunge position. An if at all possible be able to draw straight back slowly.

Yes! This is very important also! Here is another article I wrote on "perfect practice." Haha. Hope this helps. http://dialedinhunter.com/perfect-practice/

There is one thing I totally agree with in your article. Clothes you wear. I missed a pig at 15yrds because my string hit my sleeve. Happens more that you probably hear about. I did get a second chance and dropped him in his tracks with a fixed 4 blade rocky mountain BH. This was years ago before the newer BH had come out.

There is one thing I totally agree with in your article. Clothes you wear. I missed a pig at 15yrds because my string hit my sleeve. Happens more that you probably hear about. I did get a second chance and dropped him in his tracks with a fixed 4 blade rocky mountain BH. This was years ago before the newer BH had come out.

I hear ya! It's a bummer when something like that happens that could have easily been avoided. Not worth it to not try stuff like that out in my opinion. Could cost you your game. Thanks for checking it out.

• Like 1

Don't forget optics, packs, range finders etc and where you'll hang them off your body.

I did three days of the sunrise shoot in full camo, pack on and shooting from my quiver.... after that, I put two lethal hits on my bull in less than 10 seconds from kneeling.

• Like 1

Don't think the Camo is a necessity in practice unless a heavy coat or something different the pack , optics and quiver is a good idea

I like to stick to a fixed blade. Been shooting the Muzzy 3 blades for years now and haven't ever seen a reason to switch to a more expensive one.