There are few places more beautiful than the Texas Hill Country during the spring time months.. Blooming Bluebonnets, Indian Blankets, budding pecan trees, and succulent new green grass covering the landscape...

..and during this time of year there is yet another reason that will draw you to this area.. the booming gobbles of area Rio Grande turkeys begining their own springtime rituals.. drumming, spitting toms in full strut... lovesick for those pesky hens.. that's why I make it a point to head home every April and give those toms a run for their money.. I wouldn't miss it for the world.

head on out there and see for yourself.. the turkeys are there. Plenty of them!

Texas dreams in HD in the springtime..

DSC01821.jpg

DSC01822.jpg

DSC01833.jpg

DSC01839.jpg

DSC01831.jpg

spring showers make livin' the good life easy..

DSC01834.jpg

'Rio country..

DSC01835.jpg

'Rio country was also once Comanche country as well..

DSC01830.jpg

and sometimes while out in the turkey woods, you just get mighty lucky..

DSC01840.jpg

DSC01846.jpg

and with the generous bag limit of 4 birds per season, taking 2 feels pretty good!!

he made the mistake of strutting in the wrong field on that afternoon!!

DSC01866.jpg

and this guy was a tad bit too lovesick for that imaginary hen he thought he heard fly down off the roost that next morning!!

DSC01876.jpg

come on out to TX yourself and see what all the fun is about.. The locals would love to have ya out!!

DSC01878.jpg

Scott that double eyeguard rack is awesome and that 10 point is a dandy buck. Those birds aint half bad either :D Those pics are awesome show the colors really well

I'm jealous as heck! As much as I hate to say it..........I can now "kinda" see why you love Texas better than Arizona :ph34r: Awesome pics and birds...congrats! JIM>

P.S. Isn't there ton of Rattlers out there? Is that an issue to worry about with all that ground cover this time of year? Thanks, JIM>

Them are some great pics. I have been always told there isn't hardly any public hunting left and you got to pay out the ying- yang unless you know someone. I came from Ohio and even back there all the private clubs are buying everything up. We're still pretty lucky to have the public land we have here. You lucky dog you. Keep them pics coming. I enjoy the heck out of them.

Awesome pictures and great finds on the racks. Very pretty birds. Congrats Scott and thanks for sharing them with us.

Scott - Great pics (as usual) ;)

Nice birds & WOW that whitetail rack is spectacular - a Keeper for sure!

Where's the next hike? I've got some recent pics to post, so I'll get those on for ya!

Thanks for sharing!

AzP&Y

Doug

Great pic's Scott! Thanks for sharing. Heading to Amarillo next month. Don’t think it will look as good as your pictures.

azyoung

The scenery looks spectacular! Nice bird as well! Thanks for sharing the pics...

thanks guys!! I really appreciate the kind words..

yep.. there is a ton of snakes in that country.. not gonna lie to ya. I saw 4 on this trip.. one was a 4 1/2 to 5 footer.. definaltely makes ya double check everywhere you place your butt before ya sit down!! There are TONS of dens in that country.. the ground is limestone and has holes everywhere in it.. I guess you just get used to hunting in snake country.. you AZ boys otta be used to that!! These snakes down here never even den up!!

azyoung, why ya headed to Amarillo?? Good hunting country up there.. doesn't look anything like the area I was in, but is a really neat part of TX.. upland paradise when it rains in that country.

AZP&Y, that skull is the biggest I've found so far.. he's right at 148. was just pure luck.

We did Chiricahua peak a couple of weeks ago.. there was TONS of snow still up there!! It was the best hike we've done so far this year.. saw a few fired up Gould's gobblers while there and got a few snaps of them.. we're gonna do Wrightston one more time this weekend just for the training.. Mt Rainier is coming up on us fast!! less than a month till its show time.. then its time to see who trained and who didn't!!

RR, I knew there was a part of you deep down in that ol' AZ soul of yours that had left a bit back in good ol Tejas!!

thanks again guys!!