AZHUNTER05

Best Antelope decoys?

I was lucky enough to draw a archery goat tag this year and I'm curious to see what decoys work best (or if they are worth using). I've had several people say the "be the decoy" works great, but looking for more opinions. Thx

I was talking to an outffitter up here in N Dakota from Montana and his son about 25 years old and they were telling Me the son has killed 2 lopes with a bow by walking next to a horse. The lope only sees legs and not the human. Thought that was kinda cool....Good Luck.......BOB!

• Like 2

I was talking to an outffitter up here in N Dakota from Montana and his son about 25 years old and they were telling Me the son has killed 2 lopes with a bow by walking next to a horse. The lope only sees legs and not the human. Thought that was kinda cool....Good Luck.......BOB!

Ya, I've seen that on the sportsmans channel. I Just don't have a horse 😏. Pretty cool though.

I have a Montana decoy Ill sell ya. It worked like a charm on my archery goat hunt last year. Lemme know

I don't think there is any certain decoy that works better. My dad used a piece of plywood cut In somewhat the shape of an antelope and used fluorescent orange paint with white and black paint to color it. Looked terrible but it pulled in a 83" goat in 4b that he killed in the early 90's. Anything somewhat resembling an antelope will work if it's used right and at the right time.

the best one I ever saw was basically a 4 by 8 sheet of plywood cut in the shape of a cow and painted black and white. I watch that guy get within 60 yards of an antelope the two guys behind it no problem the bottom between the legs was solid and painted a yellowish base to match the grass and it had about a9 inch diameter hole in the center of it to shoot through.

Montana decoys are very good. I have one in a cow elk and it's very realistic.

the best one I ever saw was basically a 4 by 8 sheet of plywood cut in the shape of a cow and painted black and white. I watch that guy get within 60 yards of an antelope the two guys behind it no problem the bottom between the legs was solid and painted a yellowish base to match the grass and it had about a9 inch diameter hole in the center of it to shoot through.

For every time I've seen this work I've seen it blow them out of the county 10 times. We used to have OTC archery antelope tags here in ND. I've tried every type of homemade and store bought decoy and you honestly can plan on any of them scaring them out of the township 90% of the time. The other 10% they work great. Just be ready for failure. Not the best plan if you are targeting one specific buck and that's the only one you'll settle for.

• Like 1

I had a tag in a unit that has a very high buck to doe ratio a bout 6 years ago. Buck decoy wasn't working at all so on day 2 I converted my 3d antelope buck target to a doe with glass eyes and everything. Set up a blind in a well used valley next to a cattle feeder in the middle of the night. Set up the 3d and climbed in an hr before light. 20 min after sunup I had 3 bucks closing in on the "lone doe". Shot the biggest one and was at the landowners house letting him know I was done 1 hr after sunup. Think outside the box and you may have some luck. Moooo cow decoys work too! Good luck!

Carrying around a 4x8 sheet of plywood sounds really fun too.😉 I've carried several to lay on Tules to get across marsh areas and for bow fishing platforms, super fun when the wind kicks up too. I'm sure it works, but man the logistics of maneuvering something like that into place makes me not want to ever try it.

I've seen the horse thing work in WY, not only walking behind them, but sometimes you can ride right up to them while on the horses back. Very strange. I've also talked to guides that just wave a white flag above the grass and it draws them in. Never saw it done myself. My cousin also used a MT decoy with mixed success on an Archery hunt. Got closer, but never a shot. Guess it just matters on the buck and if other people will be in your area.

A buddy and I snuck within 55yds of this buck and 15 of his does using my Montana decoy and it folded up nice and neat and fit nicely in my pack when it was over.

post-2501-0-26235400-1429745486.jpg

• Like 4

Don't buy a be the decoy...I have one...you can use it if you want to

Used a cow made out of a sheet of plywood too..

a litte cumbersome ...but it made a great shade!!...you can alway ditch it and go back and get it!

• Like 2

Well, it may not be the best, but has to be the funniest I ever heard.

A guy I know whose sense of humor cannot be understated, is one of those guys who likes to hunt, but is really an amazing chef, and more about the experience than the kill was on an antelope hunt with his father a few years back and they made a giant, black cow disguise with one of them as the front legs, holding up the head portion and the other in the back with a bow acting as the back legs.

The story of stalking up on goats in their tandem "be-the-cow" decoy is the stuff of legends. They had both "had a couple" as they approached a herd of goats, and incorporated squirting from a water bladder and various ad-lib sounds. Unfortunately unless you hear it next to the campfire with all the shenanigans, it can't be fully appreciated.

Guest 300ultramag.

A buddy and I snuck within 55yds of this buck and 15 of his does using my Montana decoy and it folded up nice and neat and fit nicely in my pack when it was over.

yo-

details!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!