murfys69law

Vortex scope??

Looking at purchasing the Vortex Viper PST 6x24x50 to put on my 300 WM Browning A Bolt. The price seems good and the reviews are 4.5 to 5 stars. Any thoughts from Vortex users?

I'm working on replacing my scopes with vortex. They work great. And the warranty can't be beat. I have broken a few grand of other scopes through the years. And with vortex I can use them without babying them. Or I cold use them as a hammer and still be coverd.

Right now if you look around you can find razor gen 1 5-20 for just a bit more than a viper pst. Either way they are well worth it.

Funny, I'm working on replacing all my vortex stuff. Sure they have a great warranty, but that is for good reason. It seems like all of my vortex optics are getting worked more than they aren't. I recently purchased a Burris Veracity 5-25X50. Has all the features you want in a long range scope and is about the same price as the Vortex PST. I am just getting tired of sending every Vortex item i own back for warranty work

• Like 2

I have that pst scope your looking at and I love it. I haven't had any problems with it at all and I love it!! It's a great scope and does awesome on my 30-06

I sold my leupolds to get burris sold the burris to get the vortex i have had a diamondback, diamondback HP, 2 vipers , razor 5-20, saving up now for the viper gen2 4.5-27. Only had problems with the originall diamondback it had slopy turrets. But a trip back and it was perfect. After a fall I tealy do not want to spend another 1500 like I had to with my buriss.

• Like 1

Thanks you all. I have decided on what I want and found all your input a great help. Don't know why you have had a lot of warranty work on yours GreyGhost. I guess it's like a car. Sometimes you just get lemons.

Thanks you all. I have decided on what I want and found all your input a great help. Don't know why you have had a lot of warranty work on yours GreyGhost. I guess it's like a car. Sometimes you just get lemons.

might have been, but i know a lot of other people that have had the same issues. i am also not a big fan of exposed turrets. when using an eberlestock backpack scabbard, they have a tendency to roll when you pull out your rifle and stuff it back in the case.

• Like 4

might have been, but i know a lot of other people that have had the same issues. i am also not a big fan of exposed turrets. when using an eberlestock backpack scabbard, they have a tendency to roll when you pull out your rifle and stuff it back in the case.

I agree. That def. will be a concern when I order it. Do they make turret covers for the exposed models?

I have owned 1 Burris and a couple Bushnell scopes but it has been years. I never liked either one but they may have gotten better in recent years. I found they were like the bottom of the barrel low priced scopes back in the day.

I have a viper I like just fine. I also have a minox HD 3-15x50. That is equal in low light clarity and you can find them cheaper on camo Fire. Only get the hd model though

And I think weaver super slams are a steal. Rock solid construction

Find on natcheze.com. Cheap cheap.

Burris are solid too. I think Burris and weaver are to overlooked co.

never had that pack, I thought of that and bought a leupold with covered turrets

I was faced with the same problems when i was looking for a new scope. I ended up ordering the hs lr series scope and sent it in to vortex and had them put a 1/4 moa turret on it for my elevation cause i didnt want the 1/2 moa. The plus side is same glass as pst has covered windage turret and vortex's version of zero stop on elevation turret and doesnt have the battery for illuminated reticle on the eye piece

I was faced with the same problems when i was looking for a new scope. I ended up ordering the hs lr series scope and sent it in to vortex and had them put a 1/4 moa turret on it for my elevation cause i didnt want the 1/2 moa. The plus side is same glass as pst has covered windage turret and vortex's version of zero stop on elevation turret and doesnt have the battery for illuminated reticle on the eye piece

The vortex I looked at had 1/4 moa. It was the PST 6x24x50 Viper FFP. Granted it doesnt have covered turrets which I didn't think about but the price was unreal.

Spend the extra $100 bucks and get a Leupold VX3. Much better scope for the money and you wont have to send it off to get fixed. The first thing you hear every Vortex owner say is "they have an awesome warranty". The reason they say this is because they have used it. Vortex scopes are nothing more than over priced boat anchors as far as I am concerned. Not good for much else. This scene from Tommy Boy pretty well sums up Vortex Optics and their Warranty.

https://youtu.be/mEB7WbTTlu4

Not sure how to post you tube links, hope this works.

• Like 2

I had only trouble with my vortex viper, especially tracking in the turrets. I agree with Stomp, spend the little extra for the Leupold VX3.