bojangles

trophy mule deer tag

DNS, there aren't many bucks like that one anywhere in AZ south of the ditch. That is a great buck!

Thanks azbow. That buck is very south of the ditch.

attachicon.gifstripbuck1.jpgattachicon.gif026.JPGI had the 13 A mule deer hunt last year, I saw a ton of bucks I didn't hire a guide and wouldn't again,i cant wait to go back .

Sweet Buck! Do you have any more field pics? Congrats!

I am a fan of 12 AW late hunt.

Bucks are great, and the beauty of the area is really stunning. If you appreciate the surroundings like I do, that pushes it up the list.

• Like 2

welp, thanks.

i've made my decision to keep after the strip tag for now.

that gives me a chance to chase them with stick and string and help me improve my skills while i wait in line.

thanks, guys, great replies, and great pics!!!!

I'm looking at holding out for a trophy mule deer tag.

I figure i can hunt archery every year until i get a trophy tag, and possibly shoot a monster on one of those hunts, too.

But if you were holding out for a trophy tag, what unit would you choose, and why?

I'm looking at 13a and 13b, but should i be shopping other units too?

what about

12a eas/west?

12b

3c

23 late?

Mind you, i want to come home with a b&c on this hunt, and i'm willing to wait for the tag.

thx!!

Here is my take on this. If you have a lot of points hold out for 13B or 13A. The bonus pass on these hunts are currently sitting at 15 points. The late 12s are also great hunts but will still take around 13 points to make the bonus pass, wait an extra 2 years and hunt in the 13s. 3A3C requires less points but is also earlier before the rut and not the same experience in my opinion. 23 and 27 have rut hunts and would take 8 to 10 points to make the pass. I would say save your points for 13s and archery & leftover hunt until you get the best tag.

Just so you know, it took 15 points last year to make the max points pass in unit 27 late mule deer....a couple were drawn with 10 as applicants with 11, 12, 13 points drew their 1st choices.

I'm looking at holding out for a trophy mule deer tag.

I figure i can hunt archery every year until i get a trophy tag, and possibly shoot a monster on one of those hunts, too.

But if you were holding out for a trophy tag, what unit would you choose, and why?

I'm looking at 13a and 13b, but should i be shopping other units too?

what about

12a eas/west?

12b

3c

23 late?

Mind you, i want to come home with a b&c on this hunt, and i'm willing to wait for the tag.

thx!!

Here is my take on this. If you have a lot of points hold out for 13B or 13A. The bonus pass on these hunts are currently sitting at 15 points. The late 12s are also great hunts but will still take around 13 points to make the bonus pass, wait an extra 2 years and hunt in the 13s. 3A3C requires less points but is also earlier before the rut and not the same experience in my opinion. 23 and 27 have rut hunts and would take 8 to 10 points to make the pass. I would say save your points for 13s and archery & leftover hunt until you get the best tag.

Just so you know, it took 15 points last year to make the max points pass in unit 27 late mule deer....a couple were drawn with 10 as applicants with 11, 12, 13 points drew their 1st choices.

There are 5 bonus pass tags for 27 late hunt. Last year 2 tags went to 15 point holders who hadn't been applying for this hunt in prior years. No one with 14, 13, 12, or 11 points even applied for this hunt last year. The three other bonus tags went to those with 10 points last year. This year the bonus pass will be 11 and 10 bonus point holders for this hunt unless some one who doesn't usually put in for this hunt changes there mind like last years two 15 point holders (probably a group app). On last years 15 point holders maybe they had special deer they were watching and after but they could have had a chance at 13A or 13B bonus tag with some bonus tags given to 15 point holders in both units last year. They would have also been guaranteed late hunt permit tag in 12A East or West or 12B.

Guys with 13, 12 and 11 points did apply but they applied as 2nd choice and drew their first. No tags went to applicants with 13, 12 or 11 points but it does show what type of attention unit 27 late has received. No guarantees that the points pass will be 10 or 11 points this year.

Most will say the 13A/13B units, and I cannot disagree with them. I also think there are some great deer in 12AE/W too, but the late hunts are the way to go for those units. There are some dandies taken off the Bab every year.

Of course, the biggest deer I have seen pictures of from last year (besides the pending P&Y world record typical from the Strip and pending SCI world record typical from the Strip) came from a desert unit. It crushes the P&Y deer in score, but it is a MONSTER non-typical. I mean MONSTER. And there were quite a few monsters taken out of the desert last year.

There are big bucks all over the state. You just have to spend the time out there to find them.

attachicon.gif2013 Buck4.JPG

Yes there are. Here is a crappy photo of a toad buck from an area that would be considered poor for mule deer hunting.

GoodBuck.jpg

You can't see it in the photo but there is a drop tine on his right side. I saw him in bow range during bow season while scouting for elk. No deer tag :( Watched him for a few minutes and he wandered off.

• Like 1

str8shots posts make my head hurt.

You think your head hurts now? Wait till he makes premier status.. :o :wacko: