Sign in to follow this  
Flatlander

I blew it . . .

I have been applying for one archery bull hunt for a decade. After reviewing 2014 draw reports I concluded that I would not make the bonus pass this year and elected to apply with a buddy who had fewer points.

I looked at the 2015 draw reports today and guess what, if I had applied alone I would have made the bonus pass. What a bone headed move!!! Agghhhh!

With all the data I look it I should have known better than to do that so close to the bonus pass. Sometimes I think I out think myself.

Oh well, good news is guess who is going elk hunting next year?!

• Like 3

I am confused, so you did that but luckily didn't draw correct ? So you didn't totally blow it? OK so where am I showing up to help out next year? I've got mules, dutch ovens, and a strong back.

• Like 3

lol... well at least you"re locked into next year ... I am assuming he had quiet a few less than you did then .... and I am thinking the title should be Almost Blew It ... cause getting drawn for a lesser quality draw with a buddy IMO would have been blowing it !

Are the Bonus Point reports up by unit and species or is it just the overall bonus pass report? Curious to see how lucky I got this year. If someone has a link to the full report please post it up. Thanks

I think you could study it for a lifetime and still not get drawn when you think you should or are supposed to. Getting drawn is luck regardless the amount of points or whatever. Explain how a guy with 18 points doesn't get drawn for a specific hunt yet a guy with 4 points gets it and it was first choice for both?? And it happens all the time. I put in for what I want to hunt and hope its my turn. I think trying to figure there system out is a waste of my time. If you do figure it out though let me know :P

• Like 3

There is obviously more impact from "luck" in the system rather than impact from bonus points. I have suggested ways to invert that issue but it seems most hunters prefer the current status of luck over bonus points....... which has always mystified me!

• Like 2

No I blew it. I applied with my buddy for the same hunt I have applied for the last 10 years. Had we applied separately I would have been one of a handful in the bonus pass.

The system is pretty simple once you get a grasp on it, but it can be unpredictable. Mule Packer, I will let you know where to be after the 2016 draw, since posting now might sway those odds back out of reach. But rest assured, mules will be a handy resource on this one.

• Like 1

Flatlander, now that I got only 2 points for Elk next year what is the strategy to get drawn for Early Bull in unit 9............BOB!

Go paper app next year Bob. When you are done filling everything out and just before you put it in an envelope.............Take your lucky penny and rub it Allllllllll over the app. You are sure to get drawn even with just 2 BP. You can thank me next year. ;)

Flatlander, now that I got only 2 points for Elk next year what is the strategy to get drawn for Early Bull in unit 9............BOB!

Get your hands on some pictures of a commissioners wife . . .

That's how my buddy got the Unit 9 Muzzy hunt moved.

• Like 2