Sign in to follow this  
Mathews22009

350 class

I'll take a guess, #2 the 350 bull? I guess #1 320-335. I can't even come up with a guess on #3 with that angle of the pic. Do you have another pic of the #3 bull with a different angle? My guesses are probably off but only you know.

My guess, none of them.

350 bull is a great bull and very challenging to kill.

Anyone wanna guess on this one? If 350 class is an average class bull then count me in on every bull I can take for the rest of my life. Man this is gonna be an interesting thread

Unreal bull! If he wasn't missing some tines I'd say somewhere in the 370's

I would say a 350 bull is a real challenge. It has been my challenge since 2009 and I still haven't sealed the deal.

2009 I drew my first archery bull tag and had killed 2 bulls prior to that with a 300 being my best. I went into the hunt saying 350 only or I eat the tag. I was in the unit 5 days before the hunt started and spent the entire 14 days hunting with no days off hunting from daylight to dark and most days I Hunted solo.

I was in elk every single day and passed on over 20 bulls within 40 yards some being respectable 6x6 Bulls. The entire hunt I seen one bull I would dare to call a 350 bull at about 300 yards hauling the Mail through a meadow as I sat a water hole on the edge.

I did end up taking a shot at a 320ish bull late in the hunt at 10 yards and actually missed. (Worst case of fever ever)

I've had 2 bull tags since and still no 350.

My 2011 rifle tag I seen a bull step out of the treeline at last light. He looked like a great bull so I got set up and took the shot. Went we walked up to him it was a different bull. We hadn't realized more than one bull stepped out and I ended up with a 250 bull. Took my grandpa back to the same spot 3 days later and he took the bigger bull that would go 350 if he wasn't broken up.

Interesting topic and discussion so far. I would venture a guess, based on sitting around the elk woods during elk season and seeing all of the random numbers thrown out at Bulls sitting in my possession, that very very few people have any idea about how to score elk. Once elk reach that 320-330 mark they start looking big IMO. AND that's when you start getting some serious air judging. Hahaha

We have had 4 elk tags in my family over the last few years and have been pretty fortunate in harvesting some great Bulls.

I harvested this bull. Grossed just a little over 380 if I remember right

post-553-0-40873200-1431886340_thumb.jpg

My brother in law killed this bull with me the following year. Believe it was around 338 gross inches. He was 51" inches wide tip to tip.

post-553-0-92636800-1431886349_thumb.jpg

Jody took this bull the next year. He grossed just under 330.

post-553-0-08437300-1431886362_thumb.jpg

And then Jody drew again and took this gross 372 with matching cheaters!

post-553-0-08966400-1431886372_thumb.jpg

Is 350 doable? YES. But I would guess majority of archery hunters would have shot each and everyone of the Bulls we have killed. They looked HUGE coming through the trees. You also have to keep in mind that just one inch on each point and beam will bump you up 12" and make a 340 a 352. I can't imagine that very many people in the heat of battle making split decisions would be able to tell. It is part luck unless you KNOW the animal before hand. Mostly we judge on "it looks BIG" better shoot. I would be lying to you if I told you I knew my bull was going to crest 380. He looked larger than life coming through the trees and I shot him. Even after he was down I called my dad and a couple friends and told them I shot a solid bull that was probably 360 ish. Back at cap I was shocked when we stretched the tape.

Anyway, enough blabbing. That's my thoughts on elk. I'm truly a COUES junky anyway.

• Like 9

You can definitely see the genetics in that herd. B-I-L and Jody's bulls look identical on the right antler, left as you look at the picture. Brothers or related somewhere down the line. Nice bulls!

350 is Not average. We are spoiled in az as there are giants in this state, which makes a lot of people over judge bulls in the field. Ever notice how everyone sees 400" bulls with antlers that could scratch their butt? But not that many get killed once they hit the ground! To scratch their butt it would take a beam that 70+ inches long! Elk are big, and a 320 bull at 30 yds screaming his butt off can appear giant!

I hunted with a very accomplished Montana hunter who had killed 26 bulls in his life and never broke the 350 mark. IMO if you pass a 350 bull you better either have a 350 on the wall or you are actively tring to kill a bigger one and not chasing a ghost. A 350 bull is a great bull!

• Like 5

If 350 is average… I sure wish I could be average.

350 is Not average. We are spoiled in az as there are giants in this state, which makes a lot of people over judge bulls in the field. Ever notice how everyone sees 400" bulls with antlers that could scratch their butt? But not that many get killed once they hit the ground! To scratch their butt it would take a beam that 70+ inches long! Elk are big, and a 320 bull at 30 yds screaming his butt off can appear giant!

I hunted with a very accomplished Montana hunter who had killed 26 bulls in his life and never broke the 350 mark. IMO if you pass a 350 bull you better either have a 350 on the wall or you are actively tring to kill a bigger one and not chasing a ghost. A 350 bull is a great bull!

I couldn't agree more. My wife shed hunts like crazy we all know. And to this date the biggest main beam bull she has found is 64". Average is 50s to mid 50s

Count me in with the group that can't field judge elk. Once an elk gets into the lower to mid 300's they look huge. The bull in my photo scored 359 but I was shocked that he came in that high. I guessed him at 340'ish. And that was once he was down and I was standing over him.

IMG_20120914_172203.jpg

• Like 1