Sign in to follow this  
Mathews22009

350 class

I have a bull on the wall that scores a little north of 400" as well as one that went mid 370's. Outside of an early rifle tag, i would not pass a shot on a TRUE 350" on any day of the hunt. Hearing the "350" number almost makes me cringe, as most people have no idea how big a 350" bull is.

• Like 1

Hope to be average this fall.....but mostly hope to get to do some great hunting.........nothing like being in the middle of screaming bulls. I'll admit if I see antler....it is always big......

If I could come across anything like what has been posted on this thread I will not be disappointed......

On a side note, as we have measured sheds through the years dreaming about the bulls that packed them......it seems that mass falls short where length consistently from tine to tine is where you really gain big numbers?

Yes? No?

We are highly spoiled here in AZ. when it comes to Elk. Up north here they talk 300" bulls are great. I got a 330 on the wall and not satisfied. I have the early rifle tag in 10 this year But am not going to be to greedy. I'm hoping 370" but we shall see. I have 8 points in Wyoming and my buddy in Casper says You better shoot the first 300 You see. Well didn't put in this year , that will be next its allmost like , wow Thats all they got. I know there are big ones around , they are just more spread out and not as abundant. Montana too ,Thats why I only hunt muleys there.. Good luck to all with tags.......BOB!

i will only shoot a 400 bull or bigger this year, unless i see one that is smaller first. l hate the word "class". you always see "350 class" or "200 class" and then you look really close at the photo and then figger anything over 300 must be 350 class and anything over 160 must be 200 class. screw the score, when the right one jumps up, you'll know it. hopefully it does. i've worked my butt off and settled for some dinks before. but i do have HIGH hopes for this year. Lark.

• Like 4

Hope to be average this fall.....but mostly hope to get to do some great hunting.........nothing like being in the middle of screaming bulls. I'll admit if I see antler....it is always big......

If I could come across anything like what has been posted on this thread I will not be disappointed......

On a side note, as we have measured sheds through the years dreaming about the bulls that packed them......it seems that mass falls short where length consistently from tine to tine is where you really gain big numbers?

Yes? No?

Here is my take on it. Mass is extremely deceiving. Tine length you can guess on pretty close while judging a bull. But when you start pulling a tape an a bull has 70+ inches of mass it adds up quick. A big bull will usually have around 60" of mass. It's always a pleasant surprise. So Ya tine length adds up no doubt. But a heavy bull is where you get the unexpected inches

I agree with every single person on this thread that has said 350" is definitely not average and/or that we are spoiled here in AZ. Personally, I don't think even 300" is "average". I was told many years ago that anything over 300" is a big bull, anything over 350" is a monster, and anything over 400" is just absolutely ridiculous. From what I have seen, this is true. I would be willing to bet that most bulls that are killed don't hit 300", even if you are only talking about AZ. You have to remember that "average" includes all units, all states...not just Unit 1, 3A/C, 9, 10 and 27 here in AZ. Most people don't have the skill to field judge accurately(I know I don't) and more importantly, in the heat of the moment most people don't have the patience or the will power to pass up a 300" bull. And for those of you that have killed a 350"+ bull, I think you would all agree that is exactly what it takes...plus a little luck doesn't hurt. Just my thoughts on the subject.

Yes? No?

Yes

Pine Donkey, I appreciate that you posted a test. I'll take a shot.

Bull #1 - Appears to be a 6 X 7, is the highest grossing bull in the group. I'd guess 354" gross.

Bull #2 - Nice bull, 342 gross

Bull #3- Another very nice bull, 332.

My guesses would be about the same as Swivelheads.........BOB!

Dido. Bob and Swivelhead with just a little change.

#1 is the biggest with 353 7/8

#2 is second with 341 7/8

#3 1s 331 7/8

Here is a test. These are three Bulls we took in the last two years. Which one is a 350?

1) My 2013 Septeber Archery bull

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

2) Garrett's 2013 November bull

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

3) Chrystie's 2014 November bull

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Be careful, photos can be deceptive.

Actually none of these Bulls is a 350. This was not meant to be a trick question, but rather reinforce the idea that a 350 bull is a BIG bull.

1) scores 338. This is boosted by the 17+ inch 'extra' point on the base of his left antler. Without that point, he is a 320 bull.

2) scores 325

3) scores 326

All scores are gross, and would drop quickly when looking at net scores. Several people were on top of this, but we sure could have passed any of these off as a 350 to many people. Regardless of score, each comes with great memories of a hunt with friends and family; that can never be measured with a tape. Also, each has fed the family.

If I see any of these bulls breaking clear and turning broadside this September, in unit 1, there will be a broad head in the air! Thanks to those who made guesses, hopefully it was a fun way to kill some time while we wait for the season.

Here is a test. These are three Bulls we took in the last two years. Which one is a 350?

1) My 2013 Septeber Archery bull

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

2) Garrett's 2013 November bull

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

3) Chrystie's 2014 November bull

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Be careful, photos can be deceptive.

Actually none of these Bulls is a 350. This was not meant to be a trick question, but rather reinforce the idea that a 350 bull is a BIG bull.

1) scores 338. This is boosted by the 17+ inch 'extra' point on the base of his left antler. Without that point, he is a 320 bull.

2) scores 325

3) scores 326

All scores are gross, and would drop quickly when looking at net scores. Several people were on top of this, but we sure could have passed any of these off as a 350 to many people. Regardless of score, each comes with great memories of a hunt with friends and family; that can never be measured with a tape. Also, each has fed the family.

If I see any of these bulls breaking clear and turning broadside this September, in unit 1, there will be a broad head in the air! Thanks to those who made guesses, hopefully it was a fun way to kill some time while we wait for the season.

But it was a trick. You set a "frame of reference". Looking at a photo is much different than observing a living bull. Being that you have a unit 1 tag I'd tell you to hold out for better than 330. Especially if you got some time.