Sign in to follow this  
Hoss50

Camping Tent

I am in the market for a new family tent. My budget is about $150-250 and I have a family of 4 currently so I am probably looking at a 5-6 person style tent. I would prefer a tent that is fairly quick to setup and I want something that will last. What is the best bang for the buck in my price range? I like the tents that have the front entrance alcove but that isn't a must.

Thoughts?

Thanks

Harley

Buy once cry once. I have had some of the cheapie ones and on my bull hunt at 130 in am it gave up on keeping out the rain. When ur in the rain in the middle of the night after a long day sept bull hunting the last thing u want to be doing is trying to set up a tarp over your supposed rain fly!!! I set up my brothers Kodiak and was very pleased. One of the easiest tents to set up and handled the weather very well. In my opinion canvas is the way to go. Sense then I have bought a Davis wall tent with wood burning stove but that is way more then your price range and quite an ordeal to set up at times. I would love to have a Kodiak as well for faster set up for shorter trips. I think they range from 4 to $600 but are worth it!

• Like 1

The one on here is sold. The Costco Coleman tent is getting very mixed reviews.

Spend the extra money & get a Kodiak flex bow it will last forever if you take care of it, and easy one person set up!

Check the Cabelas bargain cave regularly. I got a nice Cabelas Outback Lodge there once for $200. I have had it for 10 years and still going strong. I can set it up by myself in about 10 minutes.

the 12x12 is listed as an 8 person, but like most tents, thats a joke. If the box says 8, it's really a 4-5. If it says 4, it a really a 2.

• Like 2

I have not had a Coleman that lasted more than 5 years and the last one (10x10) Sundome that my son got as a present barley made it through a very windy night in 23.

The poles nearly wore through the fabric and it was pretty much junk after that. I have a Trekker 10x10 I bought at Cabelas about 4 years ago and it has held up well and was $120.00. It comfortable sleeps two people and we use Slumberjack cots, one on each side with a few feet in between the cots to move about and enough room at the door to put a heater for those cold nights. I can set it up by myself in under 10 minutes and it is about 6'6 in the middle.

I took the wife to cabelas tonight. She gave the go ahead to buy a big are tent for much more then the original budget. She was in a 10x20 and liked it alot. We are thiking about a Eureka 15x12 and I really like the idea of the Kodiak flexbow but am not sure it is big enough. Does any place locally have one setup or sell them?

Sportsman warehouse sometimes has the Kodiak flex bow set up. Not sure of your needs, but the Kodiak 10x14 is pretty big inside. The walls are pretty much straight up & down which helps give more inside room. Good luck with your purchase.

• Like 2

Bought one at Cabelas in the bargain cave brand new in the box. Kodiak 10x14 for $425 out the door. I got lucky I think. Great tent with lots of room and handles rain excellent.

• Like 1

I have had a cabelas westwind 6 man for a few years and it's very good for a lower priced tent. Been in many rain storms and 8" of snow in Wy a couple years ago, no leaks. I bought mine for 120 in the bargain cave. The kodiaks are nice but quite a bit more $. The 6 man west wind wouldn't fit 6 midgets, you would need the 8 person for your family. My uncle has use the outback lodge for many years and hasn't had an issue either.

Wish you were closer, I have a couple I'd give you. These are great tents and still do about anything you need of them. I slept in one last year in 13A in sub-zero temps and was comfortable the whole time. If you buy new, it's a little more money but I'd recommend the Kodiak canvas tent.

I ordered a kodiak canvas last night. I said to heck with it, it's only money and I only want to buy a tent this one last time in my life. I plan to try it out a few times this summe and during scouting for my elk hunt. I might even use it on my elk hunt depending on the weather.

Thanks for the advice. I think I made the right choice for sure.

Harley

• Like 4