apache12

Reload accessory tips?

So some of you may have read my early post about loading for the first time at a buddy's house. Well I got the bug. And using someone's gear is uncomfortable sometimes so....

I bought the hornady Classic kit today for $269 at cabelas. I know it's entry level but $110'off and 500 free bullets seemed to good to pass up

So I need a tumbler and some other fixings but what have you guys learned over the years that are next best items I should start looking for?

Prep and trim tools?

Which calipers work best ? Digital it's or dial?

Are their manufactures that are consistently good and others to avoid

Thanks for any tips

Tables? I think I will most likely just build something to fit my works space

I really like RCBS stuff and stay away from Frankford arsenal, it's been nothing but crap. I also really like digital calipers.

• Like 2

I bought a wood working bench from harbor freight also. Bolted it to the wall and topped it with di-bond.post-8438-0-77804600-1434910686_thumb.jpg

A electronic prep tool is a must if u plan on doing a lot of rounds. I have the Lyman and it works great for my needs! Also the electronic powder dump is well worth the money! But that can come down the road once u get the hang of things. I like the lock and load press by hornady . At first I was skeptical on locking nut being consistent with the 1/4 turn on and off. To my surprise it works great and all my dies have them now. So now switching from sizing to bullet seed is just a 1/4 turn each time.

You will soon find out the majority of reloading is case prep. Therefore anything to speed up that process will save time and your wrist . Lol I went a while with that the hand tools primer pockets in and out the hole 9. I had a bit of pop-eye going on haha.my current set up not the best or cleanest at the moment but effective .post-3282-0-44560900-1434918598_thumb.jpg

Digital Calipers

Case trimmer

You need a sturdy bench that won't flex when resizing cases. I bought a bench from Home Depot then bought a 1" thick plywood and glued / bolted it to the bench top so it is 2" thick altogether.

Get a chamfer and deburring tool like this if your kit didn't come with one: http://www.midwayusa.com/product/465641/rcbs-chamfer-and-deburring-tool-17-to-60-caliber?cm_vc=subv465641

I have found that for an extra $3-5 a set Redding dies are superior to everything else I have tried (RCBS, Hornady, Lee), mostly because of their ease of adjustment.

I like hand priming my cases, can feel when the pocket gets too big and the primer goes in too easily, then I'll crush the case. I got the Lee primer when it first came out, there are many other makes now.

• Like 2

I really like the Lee case trimmers that use a cordless drill. Saves a lot of time. Just always go slow to not heat up the brass and harden it while trimming. My press, most dies and other accessories are RCBS.

I do have a Lyman stainless steel caliper that has worked great for years too. My tumbler is a Cabelas brand and has worked just fine.

• Like 1

I really like the Lee case trimmers that use a cordless drill. Saves a lot of time. Just always go slow to not heat up the brass and harden it while trimming. My press, most dies and other accessories are RCBS.

I do have a Lyman stainless steel caliper that has worked great for years too. My tumbler is a Cabelas brand and has worked just fine.

I like the lee trimmer too.

• Like 1