codyhuntsaz

Where to start on a budget

What make/model/caliber would you start off with? I am mostly a bow hunter, but I would like to buy/have built a rifle that will last me a long time and be able to reach out to 1000 yards. I want an all around caliber for coues, mule deer, antelope and elk. What could I buy or piece together for $1000? Or is that not even in the ballpark? That's not counting the scope. I'm sure your responses will lead to other questions I haven't thought of at the moment. I would also like to shoot factory ammo. At least at first unless I really get into long range shooting then who knows maybe I'll want to start making my own loads?

Honestly... I don't think you can be repeatable on a 600 yrd gun for less than $2K and $3-$4+K on a 1000 yd rig... IMHO... (gun and scope and so one...)

• Like 1

1k could easily build you a custom savage that is plenty capable of long range shooting. Stomp will chime in, and probably give you a pretty good breakdown of the parts and costs for a budget build.

Like Coues n sheep said. You might get lucky with a budget Savage, but no way it could be scoped for that number. Unless you already have the scope you should double your budget. Just sayin :)

• Like 2

Really!? It really doesn't take that kind of money to be successful and repeatable to 1000 yards. First and foremost important thing is practice. Spend the time behind the gun and get to know it and how it shoots under different conditions and you are more than half way there. Second a nice scope is a must im not talking $1500-$2500 optics I'm talking $700 Leupold will be more than enough to be repeatable and reliable. 3rd forget about factory ammo. To be successful in long range shooting and hunting you need the best and most consistent you can be and factory ammo does not provide that in most cases. Find a friend or someone to help you reload and develop a load for your rifle. As far as factory rifles go Savages are very hard to beat for out of the box accuracy and can be upgraded and customized on the cheap and easy. As far as factory calibers are concerned a nice .270 or 7mm mag should do the trick.

• Like 4

Like Coues n sheep said. You might get lucky with a budget Savage, but no way it could be scoped for that number. Unless you already have the scope you should double your budget. Just sayin :)

what he said, not including the scope. Edit: the op said with out scope.

I said in my original post "not counting the scope"

I just purchased a savage 111 LRH in 300 win mag brand new for less than $700 out the door. I am in the process of a budget build myself I am putting xtreme hardcore gear 20 moa base & ranger rings for around $300.00 scope is going to be a vortex viper pst 6x24x50 around $950. So as you can see I am $2000.00 without any other mods. I am sure by the time I am finished building this rifle I will be around $2500 to $3000, and I think that is a realistic budget. Of course you can go a lot higher than that as optics can be a lot more than what I selected.

do you have someone to reload for you? finding an accurate load with factory ammo in a factory gun $$$. your best bet is either a Remington sendero or rem 700 long range. weight helps for long range shooting.

• Like 1

I will throw in an opinion...

1) look for a used rifle that has been set up for this such as a Savage or Remington

2) Build your own Savage

I would go with a 7mm or 308 because there is a ton more data for loads and components for reloading. DO NOT get a wild cat or anything requiring fire-forming or the die, components, etc will cost you a lot more and you will also limit the market on selling it if you need to or change your mind. My 0.02 on caliber would be 7mm RM, 300 win mag, or WSM's in both calibers this way you don't go broke buying brass such as Ultra Mags. I own an Ultra Mag and a Dakota and they are great but reloading is 2x the cost.

I don't have time to go through all the classifieds out there but here is an example of what you can find. Yes it is a Howa action and not a Savage or Rem but this is an example. Also check Sniper hide, etc...

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f25/custom-howa-7mm-wsm-mcmillan-154757/

Find an old beat up savage and low ball offer the seller at around $150-200.

Take off everything until you have just the bolt and action. Buy a new barell chambered it what ever caliber you choose. 260 rem or 7/08 is s good short action caliber. 7 or 300 mag for long action.

Get a new stock and have it bedded.

Get a set of Good rings and base.

Put the rest of your money into a hand loading set up and scope.