codyhuntsaz

Where to start on a budget

I got the Tikka 300 winn mag with vortex viper 4307-lr 4-16x50 dead hold bdc. Don't know what ta heck all the letters mean but I'm zoned in at 200. got to start shooting and get out to 600. Mine will be factory load. I am expierimenting.......Any advice holler please..........BOB!

What model Savage do you guys recommend

i would get a rem 700 long range 7mm mag, mount a vortex 6-20x44 scope; burris z rings and get some ammo and shoot. then i would save for a krieger barrel, shilen or timney trigger; and reloading equipment. whether you go the savage or remington path there is a learning curve. stomp says practice and factory ammo will deplete the budget fast.

$1000 is more than enough to get you a solid rifle to shoot that far! An easy route would be to find a tikka, or keep your eye out for a used semi-custom. Feel free to contact me if you would like some help/direction.

you can build a really nice Savage rifle for right around $700 or buy the long range hunter close to that as well. I personally like the custom route because I then get a match grade barrel and a nicer stock for the same money. Savage actions now days can be found for around $260-$350 depending on if you buy used or new. A quality match grade barrel can be purchased from a number of sources from $240-$350 depending on wat you want and a nice boyds stock can be had for $100. Even if you went with the highest costs you're only looking at $800 for a pretty nice setup. That's pretty cheap for a custom rig and can get cheaper if you look hard enough for a used action and parts. The one thing I recommend if going this route is decide on caliber and contour of the barrel. If you are wanting a standard sporter weight barrel or a magnum contour you will more than likely need to custom order it and its a minimum 3-4 month wait from most manufacturers and that could possibly impact your hunt this year. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

Thank you guys for all the GREAT info so far....about 4-5 pages into the "classified" section there is a savage 111 7mm rem mag for sale. Not sure if it's still available or not I'll have to ask the seller, but would this be a good starting point? Seller is asking $750. If you more knowledgable guys wouldn't mind taking a look at the ad and letting me know if it's worth pursuing I'd appreciate it! Also, what would you recommend doing to that rifle if I bought that exact set up? Not asking about a scope at this time just the rifle. Thanks!!

The savage 111LRH rifles give you a lot of bang for your buck and i have never heard anything bad. they come with probably $1000 worth of extras that you would have to pay extra for on most stock rifles (karsten adjustable comb, muzzle break, good trigger, aluminum bedding block) i own one in 338 lapua and it's a shooter and i know a lot of guys that shoot them in other calibers. probably couldn't go wrong with it

• Like 2

Honestly... I don't think you can be repeatable on a 600 yrd gun for less than $2K and $3-$4+K on a 1000 yd rig... IMHO... (gun and scope and so one...)

Hey i have that 300 you traded me gino i could sell him

You can pickup a Savage 111LRH for under $700. I just bought a 300 win mag for $688 including tax & background fees. That is less than the one you are looking at in the classifieds & it would be brand new! Like greyghost said it comes with extras already installed.