codyhuntsaz

Where to start on a budget

I got it at second amendment sports in California. I researched for almost a year before deciding on a savage. They are easy to get parts for & accurate shooters out of the box.

I was in the same boat as you are Cody. I wanted to put together a inexpensive rifle that could shoot distance and was accurate. I did a lot of research and decided to go with the Ruger American Predator in 6.5 Creedmoor. It isn't as sexy as a custom built rifle, but I am a bowhunter 99% of the time. I have under $1000 into the gun, it shoots 5 shot 1 hole groups at 100 yds, and I was hitting 12" rocks at 700 yds the other day. Just another option for you to look into they also make it in .308.

11026162_812525622176943_880498038613992

• Like 1

For a scope I went this route. I paid about $50 less over a year ago. The prices are to your door.post-8438-0-57867700-1435359987_thumb.png

• Like 1

Cody- I started with a very similar plan and foundation. Take your time, scour the sales racks and online retailers and it will take some time but you will get there. Here is my 'recipe': Savage LRH 6.5x284, DNZ One Piece-20MOA mount, Vortex HSLR 4-16x FFP. The rifle was on a rack at the local cabelas and got marked down below $750, the scope came on sale for $549 from 899 about a year later and I got the mount off optics planet and have DNZ on other rifles for a whopping total of $1400 invested. The accu-trigger and stock are awesome and it has shot Nosler factory ammo extremely well. Just make sure you keep the brass to reload later!

On the other hand... I have a stock stainless rem 700 25-06 that I crowned, DEVCON bedded myself, added a timney trigger and it shoots lights out with factory ammo. It wears talley rings and Leupold VX3 4.5-14x and so all total it is $1200 invested.

It's amazing the difference bedding, a quality trigger and 'premium' factory ammo can do. I will still reload for each but its amazing to see what is out there.