Xnt

A/C on vacation?

For those of you in the hot zone (PHX, Tucson, Yuma, Etc): do you leave your air conditioning on while gone for say a week? Maybe not mid 70s due to cost but maybe mid 80s so it doesn't soar into mid 90s and start damaging mounts, photos, books, etc. I really should learn the timer function on the thermostat.

Get a programmable t-stat or a stat that connects to the internet so you can pull it up on your phone and change the settings. They even make one that you can tie to your phone so that the setpoint changes when you are a mile away.

I set mine at 82* when I'm gone.

Get a programmable t-stat or a stat that connects to the internet so you can pull it up on your phone and change the settings. They even make one that you can tie to your phone so that the setpoint changes when you are a mile away.

Sounds handy but I'm going to pass on this. Hackers already have access to my sex tapes, bank accounts, and tax returns. I don't need them flipping my thermostat on and off willy nilly. Gotta draw the line somewhere.

• Like 7

Get a programmable thermostat. They can save you money especially on the time of use power plans. I have an ecobee smartsi thermostat on my house and it is pretty sweet. I can change it from my phone or computer and it tracks all the data for settings and run time to help you save power.

When you leave for vacation Don't set it higher then 85 unless your unit is newer because when you get home and turn it down to 75 your going to work it pretty hard.

Ps. I work in a/c wholesale so if you need a stat or if you want the name of a good tech to put 1 in for you let me know. I have a great west valley tech that does good work at fair prices.

As a custom home builder, I tell my snow bird clients to not go above 82....can lead to lots of cracks if you do

Interesting stuff guys. Not a single person saying to just leave it off like I've been doing. :wacko: I hope someone else learned here, too. Thanks all. :D

I agree with resolute. I am a home inspector and get to see first hand what happens when people turn their ac too high or off. You will have a lot of drywall cracks throughout your home. Almost every garage I look at has some for that same reason. I think 85 would be the max. If your water main is set up right you should also be able to turn off the water to the home without turning the landscape water off. That way you won't possibly come home to a flooded home.

• Like 1

Ours is at 74-75 when we are home and 79-80 when we aren't... but it only get to be 95-100 here on the Hottest days... LOL