Sign in to follow this  
Pixman

Biting the bullet

I am thinking about biting the bullet and buying some Swarovski 10x42 slc's. I would like any thoughts or opinions on rather to do it or look at getting something else. I have looked through a few bino's and the Swaro's look the best to me and also the most expensive. Thanks in advance... let the debate begin!

Did you also look through leicas also? Im curios what your thoughts are between the two.

Get whatever you like the most. To each their own. Some like vortex and some like swaros. Some like leica and some zeiss. The truth...they are all good and all will find game. Get what makes you happy.

• Like 2

I have had a pair of 10x42 SLC for over 15 years. I left them on the tailgate of my truck once during a bad rainstorm and they fogged up. I sent them back and they told me if they could not have them back in 2 weeks they would overnight an identical loaner pair until mine were fixed. Customer service was fantastic.

I have never had any other issues with them and the rain incident was in 2001.

The 10x42 SLC are an excellent glass. Not to bad to handhold and great on a tripod. Carry around the neck in bino buddies or something similar with no weight issues. Time after time when I put them to my face while on a tripod the sharpness and clarity is awesome.

I have looked through the high end vortex in the same magnification and they are good but I found myself constantly on the focus wheel for correction.

Great choice for an all around optic.

• Like 6

I think the biggest advantage of the swarovskis is in low light situations they outperform them all

• Like 1

I have never been impressed with vortex binoculars. If you're to the point of telling yourself to buy Swarovski and money isn't an issue, don't even put vortex in your thought process or debate. They are not the quality of Swarovski. I have had very good success with Swarovski customer service and warranty repairs as well; they are good.

If you're debating, consider the Leica glass. They are top notch as well. Some folks have issues with the ocular distance with some glasses. Try them out it you can.

You will not regret buying top quality glass. Leica and Swarovski are the best out there, with Zeiss close behind. Vortex, Nikon, minox fall in that mid grade line of glass.

Like I said, if money isn't an issue then hands down don't even think of anything other than Swarovski, Leica or perhaps Zeiss. You will not regret that decision.

• Like 4

Think about the 12 power , I am hearing a lot of guys that have had all models of high end binos and they all switched to 12 power. That's where I'm going next

• Like 1

If it were me I would get the a higher power of optics like the 15x56 swarovski slc's, but if you don't want a higher power the 10 or 12 powers will work. Swarovski has excellent customer service. I sent my swaros in after they got smashed up from my tripod tipping over, and they came back as good as new for a small fee.

Swarovski's warranty is every bit as good as Vortex's but you don't have to use the Swaroviski warranty as often.

• Like 6

I've got swaro 10x50EL. I love them. Looks like they are a bit cheaper than when I got mine a few years ago.

I feel your pain as I bit the bullet yesterday on the item you and I discussed.

Good glass is very important.

Oh yeah if you go to outdoorsman they will let you go outside and try the binos side by side. I went with 10x50 vs 12 after doing this.

At javi camp I had my 10x50 on a tripod next to 15s. I could pick up the pigs better in mine because of the larger field of view. I could see the pigs dang near as clear in mine as the 15s too.

Oh yeah if you go to outdoorsman they will let you go outside and try the binos side by side. I went with 10x50 vs 12 after doing this.

At javi camp I had my 10x50 on a tripod next to 15s. I could pick up the pigs better in mine because of the larger field of view. I could see the pigs dang near as clear in mine as the 15s too.

Just out of curiosity, how far were the Javi you were glassing?