Old Buck

It only took 47 years!

buster, a 10 year old has statistically a 1% percent chance of being drawn for sheep. someone with max points has the same chance. doesn't look like i drew again this year. but i'll guarantee you someone with less points drew the same hunts i applied for. you can troll around here and try to pick fights and call people names all you want, but it doesn't change the fact that there is a mess with the bonus points in Az, especially for sheep. the day after the program was started there were folks good at math that figured out it would only make a difference for a couple of years. now we have this joke we have now. just keep trying to put new paint on a condemned structure. you should stick to lower alberta and let Az folks deal with Az stuff. Lark.

one more time, old buck, happy you got drawn. shoot a good one and have a great experience. show us the photos.

I didn't call anyone a name nor did I troll around. I was simply asking what system you were referring to where someone with their name in the hat 26 times has the same odds as someone with their name in the hat 1 time. They may both have sub 1% odds if the applicant pool is huge (in the case of a sheep draw) but there is no denying that you have a 26 fold better chance.

• Like 3

I think it would be great to make someone have 10 points before they are eligible to draw. Would keep the undedicated people who randomly decide to put in or put their grandma in from drawing tags. I don't know exact numbers but I would guess more sheep tags are going to people with less than 10 points than more than 10 points. Sounds like a definite problem to me. Just read somewhere about a guy and his gf first time applying and one got drawn. I asked him what units and he said uh 46 or 45 or 43 or something like that. Now when his gf draws he is gonna have to explain to her what a bighorn sheep is and why she should go shoot one. Why should people like that ever have a chance to draw?

guys like old buck and people putting in for 20+ years that will give it their all and appreciate what they have are the ones that should draw.

• Like 2

what you're saying is how i feel too. it might onlly change the odds from 1% to 2% but at least only folks that were serious about shooting a sheep would be applying and guys that have been applying for decades might feel a little better about things. i can still get around half decent and can still hang onto my mule, but it won't be able to for many more years. it might be beneficial to give folks a break that apply for the same units year after year after a bit of an edge too. whatever, it's a bad system and it won't ever get much better. between these application pools and stuff there are a lotta folks that want to hunt sheep. and very few permits that go around. i also think they could let out many more tags than they do in a lotta units. bunches more. a couple years ago i glassed up over 40 rams, rams, no ewes, in one herd. there were 4 permits for that unit. before deer season was over i saw nearly 80 rams in various parts of the unit. and i don't think i saw em all. 4 tags is pretty skinny for that many sheep. Lark.

I like how Nevada squares the points. A guy with 20 pts goes in the hat 400 times. A guy with 1 still has a chance so it keeps hunter recruitment up but still keeps the top tier point holders in the best odds. They don't do a max pt pool as far as I know though so in theory you could never get drawn, although that is very likely in AZ as well....

Wow. 47 years. Big congrats to Old Buck. Hope you enjoy the hunt and get a good one.

I agree that the lottery for this hunt can definitely be improved. Instead of putting x1 extra name in the hat per point, how about something like this:

2 pts = 2 names (0.0017%)

3 pts = 4 names (0.0033%)

4 pts = 8 names (0.0067%)

etc...maxing out at

15 pts = 16384 names (13.65%)

So after 15 pts\years of waiting, you'll have 13.65% chance of being drawn every year you put in.

If I (and probably most people in AZ) knew I had to wait 10 years before my name is put in the hat, I probably wouldn't even try...which may sound good to a lot of people in this forum. But not good for $$$ going to AZG&F which means they would never go with that idea. But if I had a chance when I draw the first time, then I would give it a try.

Point is, ideas which decrease the amount of $ that AZG&F will receive will never fly. Anyways, just a thought from a rookie hunter.

Edit: BTW, the % I put down was based on 120,000 applicants. I thought I saw that number somewhere in this thread but didn't bother to double check. But point is, those that have more points should get more than just x1.

• Like 1

last i looked, we ain't in nevada. Lark.

??? I was pointing out the way their system worked in comparison to AZ. A few different people have suggested different options in the thread and since it is a discussion forum I thought I would make that suggestion. It would certainly help a guy in your point position. Apparently along the way I offended you somehow.

• Like 1

only 99, man you got it easy. one day i'll get a tag, in some state. hopefully i can still walk, some. i'm envious of old buck. i've thought if i ever got drawn i'd use a pistol. i'll keep that goal in mind a few more years. Lark.

as far as you buster brown, you seem to only chime in here trying to offend people. fix lower albertas problems before you bother with Az.

• Like 2

only 99, man you got it easy. one day i'll get a tag, in some state. hopefully i can still walk, some. i'm envious of old buck. i've thought if i ever got drawn i'd use a pistol. i'll keep that goal in mind a few more years. Lark.

as far as you buster brown, you seem to only chime in here trying to offend people. fix lower albertas problems before you bother with Az.

you apply out of state? youve spent the last four posts on here ripping on me for being from out of state. I find that ironic. alberta doesn't even touch north dakota. Yote.

(PS. How the heck do you even type like that it took me 5 minutes just to un caps every single sentence?). Yote.