Old Buck

It only took 47 years!

It's not who you know it's how you play your odds. I hear so many guys who say I put in for 22. I say how many points did you have? They say 3. I say we'll you just bought a bonus pt then

My point is if you play the odds and you do your research there are units that you can draw without alot of points.

In 2013 I drew the 1st ever 42 sheep tag with 8pts. My thought on going into that draw was nobody with max points will waste there points on an unproven unit. My gamble paid off and I drew and I killed a 170"+ ram.

Trust me I have playing the draw down to a science. I think all of us unlucky people know that the draw is random, but I would rather be bitter thinking it's a conspiracy until May of next year when I put in again. I am down to needing three animals for my big ten (solo with a bow) and I would rather be frustrated that i can't hunt two of the three than logical about the draw. At least for a few more days anyway.

When 3 of the 5 guides at arizona desert outfitters (they specialize in bighorn hunts) draw sheep tags in the same year, one of them won the super raffle sheep tag just a couple years ago. Something smells really fishy about that

Big congrats on the tag! I am not usually a conspiracy guy but in this instance something is not right. I once met, what I did not know at the time, a renown Arizona hunting family and the father and son both got sheep tags in the same year. I hope its an anomaly, but it seems to happen alot

Wow... I just really feel inclined to say this for the 3 deserving guys at ADO that used like 70 BPs to draw 3 tags... Hahahaha.... Kinda pathetic actually how folks hate...

post-996-0-24528600-1436722022_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

And to the fella that started this Thread....

Congrats Sir!!! It is a great year to be you!! I am certain I will be your age before I see my Rocky Tag... Cheers To You!!

• Like 2

It's not who you know it's how you play your odds. I hear so many guys who say I put in for 22. I say how many points did you have? They say 3. I say we'll you just bought a bonus pt then

My point is if you play the odds and you do your research there are units that you can draw without alot of points.

In 2013 I drew the 1st ever 42 sheep tag with 8pts. My thought on going into that draw was nobody with max points will waste there points on an unproven unit. My gamble paid off and I drew and I killed a 170"+ ram.

How you play your odds? Of course, you can't waste BP on a unit that fills up with max point holders, but how exactly do you "play the odds" with sheep. Without max, you are looking at about.1-2% draw odds accross the board, no matter how many BP you have. Unless you hold max for sheep, BP's don't really matter in any unit.

• Like 1

How you play your odds? Of course, you can't waste BP on a unit that fills up with max point holders, but how exactly do you "play the odds" with sheep. Without max, you are looking at about.1-2% draw odds accross the board, no matter how many BP you have. Unless you hold max for sheep, BP's don't really matter in any unit.
even with max your odds are still really bad, out of max your practically the same odds as a guy with two points. I don't know the guys but I agree three of them pulling tags in one year is very strange.

Congratulations Old Buck. I'm not far behind you in years put in. I don't know you but I am happy as he!! for ya. Can't wait to hear about your hunt. :)

TJ

• Like 1

There are units that get less traffic than others. Every year people seem to follow those units that had big rams killed the year before. Certain units may have not had a big Ram come out of it and will get less attention. That's when your research comes in handy especially if you know a hammer ram is in there.

even with max your odds are still really bad, out of max your practically the same odds as a guy with two points. I don't know the guys but I agree three of them pulling tags in one year is very strange.
So 70 something points between the 3 of them is strange? I could understand your thought process if they all had 1 or 3 points but in this case those guys waited there time just like everyone else.
  • Like 2

again, old buck, good news on the tag. have fun. glad at least one old timer that's put in the work got drawn. Lark.

• Like 3

Congratulations on the sheep tag! This was my 36th year in AZ of not drawing a sheep tag, I hope to draw it while I am still able to put the time and effort into the hunt. between 5 states I am unsuccessful in over 100 sheep applications and I do know how to play the odds! just not lucky YET!

• Like 1

There are units that get less traffic than others. Every year people seem to follow those units that had big rams killed the year before. Certain units may have not had a big Ram come out of it and will get less attention. That's when your research comes in handy especially if you know a hammer ram is in there.

running your numbers, you had a .3% chance of drawing that tag. time to admit it was luck and not "playing your odds"

• Like 2

Exactly how my buddy Drew his Tule Elk tag in CA. Nobody wanted to chance it and he drew first year. As soon as the hunt was proposed he went and scouted it. Bunch of people gave him shoot about how lucky he was. We asked a couple guys that told us that if they put in for the hunt, answer of course was no!

I feel really bad for the guys that have put in for that long without drawing. Sure hope it doesn't take me that long!

47 years is a long time to wait! Enjoy the hunt. Looking forward to the pictures.

• Like 1