Old Buck

It only took 47 years!

It's not who you know it's how you play your odds. I hear so many guys who say I put in for 22. I say how many points did you have? They say 3. I say we'll you just bought a bonus pt then

My point is if you play the odds and you do your research there are units that you can draw without alot of points.

In 2013 I drew the 1st ever 42 sheep tag with 8pts. My thought on going into that draw was nobody with max points will waste there points on an unproven unit. My gamble paid off and I drew and I killed a 170"+ ram.

That was my first choice and had more points when you drew the tag. Thats that good luck you guys got on drawing tags. Conrats on the strip tags this year! Get some giants.

I drew my Desert tag with like 3 or 4 points back in 2001 and there were people talking crap cuz I had an in-law that that worked for a hatchery...LOL... Truth was I had like .0400% chance of drawing that tag and was Stupid lucky that year and drew a Back to back archery goat tag too... Can't get a good tag to save my life since... so I figured I used it all up at once...LOL... Supper Stoked for the 4 guys that I know that have sheep tags coming cuz it was "Their Lucky Year"!! Cheers to all the Luck SOB's!!! HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! :P :D :lol:

• Like 1

There are units that get less traffic than others. Every year people seem to follow those units that had big rams killed the year before. Certain units may have not had a big Ram come out of it and will get less attention. That's when your research comes in handy especially if you know a hammer ram is in there.[/quote

Thanks for the info. I'll keep it between us! Lol!

Congrats to the gentlemen that drew the sheep tag. Best of luck. I have no idea what the answer is... I have a few ideas. But I think its sad that guys can go there whole life and not hunt a sheep in the only state they have ever lived in. Everybody knows somebody that always gets lucky and draws incredible tags. For me its a guy that is pretty decently known in the archery world. This guy draws unit 1 archery bull 2013(Kills a stud bull), 2014 draws archery antelope and a strip mule deer tag(Kills a deer that went over 200") whats he do so far in 2015- draws a unit 1 archery bull tag again.

Should the draw be changed? Label some hunts as premier and you can only draw those tags once every 5 years? I don't know what to do. But it sure is frustrating for myself and a buddy who put in unit 1 archery every year because we have a cabin in greer. He has 13 points and I have 10. We don't get drawn but this cat gets to hunt trophy bulls for 2 out of 3 years? and throw a strip tag and an antelope (unit 19a) in there as well. Oh and antelope same way. 14 points and counting. I know guys have 23 and I just cant imagine that.

Not 1 out of state individual should get a trophy hunt over an in state resident. Shouldn't happen. Sorry that you don't live in AZ but our money goes to Az we should have first crack. Not G&F money but ALL money

when a 10 year old that's never even applied before has the same chance as someone who's been trying for a lifetime, there is a real flaw. should have to apply for 10 or 15 years before you're even eligible. i know guys half my age that have had both desert and rocky permits. oh well. the azgfd has a lotta mistake to make up for. Lark.

Congrats to Old buck. Also congrats to you as well Eric. That's too cool man. I tried sending you a PM but your inbox is full.

• Like 2

Congrats and best of luck! I'll be waiting for pics and the story!

• Like 1

when a 10 year old that's never even applied before has the same chance as someone who's been trying for a lifetime, there is a real flaw. should have to apply for 10 or 15 years before you're even eligible. i know guys half my age that have had both desert and rocky permits. oh well. the azgfd has a lotta mistake to make up for. Lark.

Which unit/species/ and draw is this happening? If you have been putting in your entire life then you are in the max point pool and you should have 26 pts (I may be off a couple here) so you have a 26x better chance of drawing this year then a 10 year old who puts in for the first time. Makes sense to me. As the max or pool wears down you may get yourself into a guarantee.

there are the hated and the haters. If you have a tag you are the hated if you don't you are the haters. I hope to be the hated soon. If I can't win then I hope guys like old buck can. I hope I never ever get close to max points on anything I put in for.

buster, a 10 year old has statistically a 1% percent chance of being drawn for sheep. someone with max points has the same chance. doesn't look like i drew again this year. but i'll guarantee you someone with less points drew the same hunts i applied for. you can troll around here and try to pick fights and call people names all you want, but it doesn't change the fact that there is a mess with the bonus points in Az, especially for sheep. the day after the program was started there were folks good at math that figured out it would only make a difference for a couple of years. now we have this joke we have now. just keep trying to put new paint on a condemned structure. you should stick to lower alberta and let Az folks deal with Az stuff. Lark.

one more time, old buck, happy you got drawn. shoot a good one and have a great experience. show us the photos.

There are way over 120,000 people with bonus points. From 20 to 26 points there are close to 1900 people. There were 117 tags this year I really don't see how there is ever going to be a great way to allocate the tags.

bingo. but a good place to start is to make folks apply for 10 or 15 years before they're eligible. after that, i don't know what to do? but it's bs for hi point folks to have no better chance than no point folks. Lark.