Sign in to follow this  
naturegirl

Ticks down south!

Since people are active harvesting down south, I am going to throw out a reminder that there are ticks down south and a lot of them. I was bit and I was told to watch for a fever. I was in an area near where Paul (Amanda's husband) was infected last July.

If you are bit by a tick and you get sick with a fever within 2 weeks of the bite you must be treated with the antibiotic doxycycline.

I woke up sick this morning and have a very slight fever so I'm heading to urgent care to get my prescription. I'm not messing around with Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever.

Amanda collected the ticks that bit Paul & I this trip. Here's what the one that bit me looks like.

post-5072-0-24088800-1436736022_thumb.jpeg

Dang Christina, hope all goes well for you. :huh: Keep us posted.

TJ

• Like 2

post-5072-0-42113300-1436917481_thumb.jpg

The likelihood is looking higher that I may be infected. I was sick for a couple days with a low-grade fever and now these small spots. I'm on doxycycline 100 MG twice a day which covers it.

Amblyomma triste (neotropical tick) is what bit Paul and I. It carries Rickettsia parkeri

DEET is in order without a doubt next time I go. I highly recommend it.

I know way too much about ticks now :)

• Like 3

Hope you get well soon. Thanks for the heads up!

• Like 1

Which unit, what elevation and vegetation type. Just curious.

36B outside of Rio Rico somewhere. So many miles of dirt roads and hiking...lol.

It seems they like the bottom of canyons where it's moist but I'm no tick expert. I asked once and she said 3000 feet but I think that was when we were out of the canyons.

We tick checked 50 times a day at least. My bite was at the bottom of my hairline in back below by my baseball cap. Paul's was in his beard this time.

Edit: it was 36b

Just some info on RMSF....

was first identified in Arizona in 2003 and continues to be public health threat. Since 2003, there have been over 330 human RMSF cases identified in Arizona with 20 fatalities.

Some helpful links

http://azdhs.gov/phs/oids/vector/rocky-mountain-spotted-fever/prevention.php

http://azdhs.gov/phs/oids/vector/rocky-mountain-spotted-fever/documents/rmsf-handbook.pdf

http://azdhs.gov/phs/oids/vector/rocky-mountain-spotted-fever/

Stay safe out there!!!

Thank you so much for the heads up. Hope you get better soon. Are ticks active all year?