Sign in to follow this  
CouesWhitetail

Hula Girl

I figured the post title would get you guys to open the thread, but it's also the new nickname for our new Catahoula leopard dog we just adopted. We are calling her Maggie, but Paul came up with Hula Girl last night since she is a Catahoula. So we are having fun calling her that.

If anyone has a good idea for a name for her, please let us know!

She is probably somewhere between 6 and 12 months old. She was given up by her previous owner because apparently he had to move into an apartment that didn't allow dogs. Our neighbor's son and daughter-in-law were fostering her because the shelter had an outbreak of parvo and they wanted to keep her from it.

She seems very smart and very sweet! Lots of energy, so we try and run her at least an hour a day with other dogs at the dog park to wear her out some. She can't be trusted off leash yet except in enclosed spaces, but she will learn fast. I have already been working on Sit, Stay and Come and she is learning FAST!

We so want to take her camping with us later this week during fieldwork but I am not sure it is safe for her yet since she barely knows us. But when we do get to camp with her I think she will have lots of fun.

She already has demonstrated how much she LOVES WATER! The first morning here she crawled into the shower with me and got soaking wet and even let me wash her. Easiest dog bath ever! At the dog park there is a small bucket of water and she will put her two front legs in it and dunk her head in! Very funny to watch! Once we can trust her off lease, we will take her somewhere fun to swim! He toes are webbed almost to the tip!

One of the first things she did at our house was dig through the basket of dog toys and pull out a Coues deer antler! Good girl Maggie!! :)

Beautiful, isn't she?

post-1-0-02347800-1437514188_thumb.jpg

post-1-0-85580000-1437514210_thumb.jpg

• Like 23

I think you named her well. Good looking dog.

• Like 1

they have jaws like a crocodile. great for getting wild cattle outta the brush. some folks run em with bear dogs. Lark.

• Like 2

Have fun with her! Super neat dogs! Very loyal and smart...at least the first one I had was...just got another one myself a few weeks ago...

post-555-0-18808200-1437519251_thumb.jpgBonnie Mae

• Like 6

I had one, she was never able to to off a leash, lol. Whicked smart though, she was like Houdini with some of her escapes. And she would use her paws like a cat! Fastest paw speed I've ever seen. Good luck with her, hope she's not as bullheaded as mine was.

Yes, I can see that this might be possible in her already. I am still hopeful. She is SUPER smart and really keyed into escape things like doors and windows. The other day Paul was out front and she started to climb up my backpack to get to a window that was cracked open. I was amazed!

If we can't train her to be OK off leash, then we likely won't be able to keep her. I can see this will be a serious training challenge. She is definitely showing a strong will and intelligence.

I had NO IDEA what i was getting into when we got her. I learned real quick about her escape ability, and her very anti-leash mentality. She was like a hooked trout, leaping and head shaking every time we went for a "walk". She was a handful and a half but she excelled for what we got her for, companionship and her watchdog abilities. And while I can't say that I miss the ankle nips, I do miss my green-eye lady.

Oh, and PS: she WILL get any and all food left on the counters/tables, in the garbage, and into the refrigerator if given half a chance. 2 dozen eggs, a half stick of elk salami, and a 6er of beer in one refrigerator raid. She also snuck a gallon ziplock full of venison carne con chili verde off the table as I was packing up for a deer hunt. She paid for it though, i make my chili verde HOT, lol.

• Like 1