azmisfitfiend

Arizona Department of Meat Transportation

Thanks for taking the time to read this. I'm heading up to 9 for the late hunt and I'm in the planning stages. This is my first elk hunt (first time putting in for elk as well!) I have been up there for deer a number of times though. My question is about meat transportation. I know most people will say a few 120 qt coolers will work but my problem is space. I'm going up alone in my 4x4 Dodge with a camper shell on it. I'm not a weekend warrior type hunter so I wont be bringing a camper trailer, quads, or my wife and kids haha. My plan is to stay light and mobile so I can move around if needed so I plan on sleeping in the bed of my truck. I'm in Queen Creek and I know southwest processing will have game trailers up there but i'm not a fan of that either. I was thinking about building something out of wood and Styrofoam that I could take up in pieces and build if i'm lucky enough to get a kill. I like to DIY hunt and I know I'm not alone in that mindset so I guess I am just looking for ideas or things that have worked well for hunters in the past. Thanks!

I would not want to have to build a cooler after I just packed an elk out. If you debone the meat it should fit in one 120 qt cooler.

• Like 2

an average size de-boned bull should fit or come real close to it in a 120qt. if it's cold, let the meat hang in camp over night and wake up before it starts to heat up. put down a couple layers of blankets or sleeping bags, put your meat on them and pile some more blankets and bags on top of it. this will keep it plenty cool enough for a quick trip back to the valley

• Like 2

Exactly what gray ghost said. I've hauled many elk back to the valley with no problem. I always wrap em in blankets and then take my frozen water jugs from my coolers and shove em in the cavity and various spots around the quarters. Even on the mid Oct hunts when it's a bit warmer. Had one cow the first week of Aug now that was a diff story. I took extra coolers with me for that one.

Which hunt do u have?

• Like 1

Just re read ur post and seen u have the late hunt. I assume it's the late cow hunt. It will be cold enough you won't even need to worry about any of that. The elk will likely freeze over night or close to it depending on how cold it is. Either way just wrap it up and head in the next day. It will be just fine.

• Like 2

You can make a dang big cooler with sleeping bags, blankets and a tarp. I put a couple layers of blanket or a sleeping bag down first, then put 1/2 the tarp down. Put the meat/quarters on the tarp with bags of ice or frozen bottles in and around the meat. Wrap the other 1/2 of the tarp over the meat. Pile on blankets/sleeping bags. The tarp will contain melting ice and blood, while locking in the cold. The blankets/bags insulate the cool meat. This is less effective in an open truck bed, but works great inside a camper shell or SUV.

• Like 1

"keep it kool supersized transport bags". I have one that's big enough to sleep in, waterproof and heavy duty. has a +/- 1 degree change to ambient temperature rating per hour inside the bag.

I figure I can drop ice in it if I need otherwise it makes a great pillow or pad to lay on.

Bone it , let it cool over night drive it home, then cool immediately. Done. Just don't let it freeze then thaw

Awesome info. Thanks guys.I guess I was just over thinking it a bit. I will be up there late November for the bull hunt so it will be cold enough to work in my favor.

Awesome info. Thanks guys.I guess I was just over thinking it a bit. I will be up there late November for the bull hunt so it will be cold enough to work in my favor.

Definitely, don't even worry about it. Focus on getting an elk first. After that you won't have any worries. It'll be cold enuf to let it hang for a few days if u need to and haul it home without any extreme measures necessary. Good luck!

This is such a great website, isn't it? Love the wealth of knowledge and sharing of ideas here.

My first elk I was able to let it hang in a cooler not far from where I got it so was able to come home for a few day. My plan was to stop in Payson on my way back up and buy a bigger cooler. Well as my luck goes they where out! So I ended up just buying a giant storage tote with wheels. Few bags of ice on the bottom meat then a few bags on top and headed back to the valley. Worked great. Now I use the tote to take stuff up and always have it for a back up if my cooler can't be used.

you can lay out a tarp in bed of truck - put down old blankets or an old sheets - lay out the meat - in gamebags and put ice or frozen water jugs etc . and just wrap it all in a big bundle and tie the top - like a giant hersey kiss - you do not care if stuff gets bloody - I have previously poked a few holes in tarp so it won't hold water . the moisture around the meat will be ok as long as its just a few hrs .

this will work in a pinch and keeps meat cool and clean till you can get home or to a processor and it's easy to add more ice etc.

its a great idea if you don't have the time to debone all the meat and have bigger pieces

main thing is to get the heat out of it as quick as you can. in the heavy part of the shoulders where the neck connects is where most animals sour. if you have a chainsaw that you can shut the oiler off, hang em up and split em. then either cut off the front legs or at least open up the armpits to let the heat out. cut the sirloin tip away from the hind legs too. you can take a knife and split em down the backbone all the way to let some heat out too. might even prop the slit open with sticks. water is your friend. nothing takes the heat out like cool water. this is a photo of a really big bull my son shot with a bow a few years ago. in sept and fairly warm. cooled down nicely. the big chunks on the tarp are the boned out neck. lotsa excellent meat on the neck. the rest is backstrap and filets. it's ok to lay meat on a plastic tarp, but don't wrap it in one. plastic makes heat. Lark.

post-347-0-36906400-1439387155_thumb.jpg

post-347-0-78696000-1439387191_thumb.jpg

• Like 1