Sign in to follow this  
Viper

Great raspberry crop this year

Big score on the raspberries this weekend.

post-2983-0-94215400-1439177879_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

Growing up in Strawberry, raspberry picking was a serious family event. Nice haul you got there.

We picked raspberries. I'm not aware of native blackberries in AZ. The AZ raspberries turn from red to dark purple when ripe, so they are often called blackberries...there is a difference.

We picked raspberries. I'm not aware of native blackberries in AZ. The AZ raspberries turn from red to dark purple when ripe, so they are often called blackberries...there is a difference.

Well I promise what I have been picking is like bottom picture not the top. Same area roughly but just not rasberries unless somehow everything about your rasberries is blackberry except the name. I have heard people mention black rasberry but a blackberry and a rasberry designed very differently so rather confusing talk. I actually dont eat rasberries just dont like the taste and love blackberries eat them whenever they are at costco. ;) so rather certain these are blackberries. granted they are red when not ripe.. when nowhere near ripe, very bitter till black

I do see it looks like yours have the hollow middle of a rasberry is that true? pic kinda hard to tell

hoghntr, your's definitely look like blackberries. I'll be darn....I have never come across them in AZ. I picked a lot of blackberries in the mid-west when I was a kid. We've been picking AZ raspberries for several years. There are huge patches in the old burn areas along the Rim road, mostly west end.

I just picked about 5 lbs of wild blackberries last weekend. Found a mile long patch in a creek bottom and picked so many but we hardly scratched the surface. And they are blackberries for sure not raspberries. Have never even seen wild raspberries in Az. Blackberries are everywhere.

• Like 1

I just picked about 5 lbs of wild blackberries last weekend. Found a mile long patch in a creek bottom and picked so many but we hardly scratched the surface. And they are blackberries for sure not raspberries. Have never even seen wild raspberries in Az. Blackberries are everywhere.

I have see raspberries in the top of Oak Creek.

This is a representative picture of what we picked.

post-2983-0-29097000-1439304566.jpg

Picture of blackberries

post-2983-0-07813500-1439304778.jpg

What I picked are definitely blackberries same as hoghntr. I still have never seen raspberries in Az but I know they are here. The two berries are very different in appearance and I have studied many plants in Az. I have been picking blackberries around central Az for 10 years or so. It is an annual trip for me but this year I hit the jackpot trying a new area. I would love to find an area with raspberries so Viper maybe you and I could trade some info on our spots??

I have see raspberries in the top of Oak Creek.

There are also blackberries midway up oak creek. I have not made it to the top to look for raspberries but definitely will next time.