Red Sparky

The loss of a Mentor

I was four years old when my father applied to NMSP. He was a teacher with a bachelors in math and a masters in physics when he became a uniformed patrol officer. We lived in Deming at the time and I told my mom there is a police officer on the phone to talk to you. That was my first introduction to Lt. Frank Young, Personnel and Training, NMSP.

My father went into the crime lab in Santa Fe as a firearms/tool marks examiner. Part of his job was teaching accident reconstruction to the recruits at the academy. Frank and my father became good friends. My parents played bridge with Frank and Neva just about every saturday night and I watched it all. We were always over at each others house as well as camping, fishing, hunting, jeeping, etc.. My father and Frank taught me how to mechanic, weld, fix just about anything, shoot, waterski, and everything else that is important to a growing kid. When I lost a hunting knife when I was about 12 Frank got me one for Christmas. It was boxes inside of boxes like following a trail, one box I remember had dry dog food as deer droppings. I still have that knife and have carried it with me for the last 36 years. I remember one trip to the dump in Santa Fe Frank pulled over in his '66 Willy's Jeep on the dirt road and said time for you to learn to drive. I was like 11 at the time. There were so many good times and a few I got my butt chewed out, I never did that again.

I always called Frank and Neva, Uncle and Aunt. After all the years, outings and experiences I loved them more like my second set of parents. They treated me like an adopted son. Neva died last year and my family stayed at Frank and Neva's house over on the Mimbres River by San Lorenzo. Frank looked well and about 15 years younger than his almost 80 years. Last week I got a text from my sister/cousin that Frank had been diagnosed with stage 4 lung cancer, he was requesting to see us. My wife and I took our two girls to Hatch to see him in the assisted living center he was in. He was still sharp in the mind but he looked to be close to 100 years old.

I am lucky to still have both of my parents. On Aug. 27th at 7:33 a.m. , their 54th wedding anniversary, I got the call that Frank had died. I feel like my heart has been ripped out of my chest. With two weeks to go until my elk hunt, I hear the mountains calling to me. I don't think this year I can answer the call.

• Like 5

Guest 300ultramag.

I don't think I have to tell you this but it sounds like you were in the company of a great man and he quite often gave you his time. Feel blessed for knowing such a wonderful spirit. Answer the call, your clocks also ticking as all of ours are.just take the time in the day to have an impact on someone else's live as he and his wife did to you. It sounds like some good quality time was spent with this man and wife you are truly blessed as not many have parents that devoted such time and energy to them. Happy memories my friend and I hope your heart heals and I'm sorry for your loss.

• Like 4

Sorry for your loss but how good it was to know them.

My father is pushing 90 and not well, got to cherish them while you can before being left with memories.

Frank may have wanted you to hunt.

• Like 1

Sorry for your loss. He sounds like such a great man. I say you hit the mountains, you'll have Frank there to guide you in the right direction.

• Like 5

Hit the mtn's. Best thing You can do and remember the good times with Him. Sounds like a good man is gone. My Pop will be 95 Sept. 19th as I go Elk hunting. I plan on going to PA. to see Him this fall. Hope He is still there. I talk to Him about twice a week. Lucky to have both Parents alive still at My age. Keep Your head High Buddy....................BOB!

I am so sorry for your loss. With what you said in your post there is no doubt in my mind that this great man you speak of would have wanted you to go fill your tag. I lost my father in Sept of 98 and it was the hardest thing I have ever gone thru at the time. This should be a time of reflection on all the good times you had with him. No doubt this fine man will be watching over you forever. Again, so sorry for your loss but time heals all wounds and you will heal.

Sorry for your loss and he will always live on with you. The Mountains are the most therapeutic place to be and can serve as an homage to the skills and memories he had helped provide you.

Sorry for your loss, some of the best therapy in the world is some time in God's Country, especially with an elk tag in your pocket.

Sorry for your loss,sounds like a real special man.I had a couple of them in my life that I had met through my dad.One of them worked for the game and fish from 1929-1964,and then became a commissioner for the dept.So many memories,we are blessed to have known them.

The man that took me on my second ever deer hunt (dad had to work the first two days) recently lost a leg to disease. Not only was he a sniper Vietnam and a good guy but he taught me electrical mechanical work and was is an awesome dude!! He's one of my dad's best friends and has either been on every hunt or taken me I. Hunts since I was 10. I was on hunts with them well before that too. Since his leg loss he's lost interest and is still in the VA and doesn't want to hunt anymore. I feel your pain, sorta. I still have a chance to talk him into it, you don't. I'm sorry for what you've lost, I know what I've lost.

I feel your loss. Count your blessing for having great people in your life. Be that great person to others now.

Sorry for your loss. I think he's want you to go hunting and use that knife to skin an elk. From what you wrote it seems like a lot of those times shared with him were in the mountains. Take those memories up on your elk hunt and celebrate a great mans life.