Sign in to follow this  
couesfreak23

how to cool down meat after kill

Get it open to the bone as quick as you can. Ice chests, sleeping bags, sheets, and shade is your friend this time of year. Winter there's more time. Just get the guts seperated from the meat and the meat free from the bone as quick as possible and it'll be ok.

• Like 3

Remember there body temp is about the same as ours, so its not really how quick you cool it done (of course as soon as possible) but keeping it cool as you can without freezing and don't let it warm back up that's when it goes bad, so I would say bone it, bag it add put it a large cooler with block ice, take drain plug out to drain water, I don't like water down meat. Then don't open often. Enjoy a few days then get it and butcher and enjoy. Never let it freeze then thaw. My opinion only

Gut it, skin it, bone it, hang it, and get processed as fast as possible in that order. My oldest got his last year during the late hunt. We hung it for 3 days while my wife tried to fill her tag. Freezing at night, but the meat never really froze. Got it back home and processed it. We are still eating off it and its great!! Preparation is the key. Keep it clean and cool and your good to go.

• Like 1

You guys know El Diablo stands for the Devil. You Devil You. Gotta do what she wants..............BOB!

Once I get it back to camp and hung in a tree, I'll walk over to the ice chest and crack open a beer. The first drink will be a nice one and then I'll walk over to the table and top off the can with some Crown Royal. I'll sit back and enjoy my camp boilermaker. Once finished I'll get to work removing the hide and boning out the meat. I'll table the meat (in the shade) after it has been washed and air dried then begin placing it into double gallon freezer bags. From here it then goes into my 5 day igloo. As long as I have ice, I'm good until I get home. Once home, I'll wash it once more on a table, in the driveway with the garden hose. From here the meat gets bagged and into the freezer. I'll end up making jerky out of the entire buck, this is how the wife and kids prefer it.

• Like 1

gut, skin, hang it in the shade, cut up as needed, get it in an ice chest as needed. it's real simple, get the heat out of it asap. especially elk. elk sour in the shoulders where the neck and shoulders meet, real fast. if you have a saw, split it. it you don't, cut off the neck (the neck is excellent meat, don't toss it), front legs, remove backstrap, cut the sirloin tips away from the back legs. meat is real forgiving if you ain't stupid. just take good care of it. and never wrap it in plastic of any kind. plastic makes heat. Lark.

• Like 2

My brother in law and I have hunted together in 33 for years now and have taken 10+ deer backpacked in. We shoot-em, find-em, hang-em, gut-em, skin-em, debone-em, and bag-em in gallon and 2 gallon ziplocks. sometimes it is a day before we can get it on ice, but taking it out of our packs and opening the bags and putting them in the shade or overnight chilling it outside has been very successful. Packing out the cape, meat and horns is much better then lugging out the whole thing and risking the chance of bone soured meat. We always take a picture of the carcass with all the meat stripped off of it, just on the odd chance someone accuses us of wanton waste.

gut, skin, hang it in the shade, cut up as needed, get it in an ice chest as needed. it's real simple, get the heat out of it asap. especially elk. elk sour in the shoulders where the neck and shoulders meet, real fast. if you have a saw, split it. it you don't, cut off the neck (the neck is excellent meat, don't toss it), front legs, remove backstrap, cut the sirloin tips away from the back legs. meat is real forgiving if you ain't stupid. just take good care of it. and never wrap it in plastic of any kind. plastic makes heat. Lark.

ill never forget the thread i read years ago on here about a guy helping his friend on an elk hunt. he said something like " my friend gave me a bunch of neck meat as a thank you, what should i make with it?" and one of the first responses was " you need new friends" lmao. that killed me.

• Like 1

You guys know El Diablo stands for the Devil. You Devil You. Gotta do what she wants..............BOB!

I thought it was Spanish for a fighting chicken or something.......

• Like 2

I recently started to to pack out deer, to make it easier to get meat back to camp. But usually leave bone on meat.Should I remove bones from meat to help the meat cool faster. Also do any of you guys use dry ice to keep ice chest cooler if so how did it work out for you and how long could the meat be stored in ice chest for. This year I drew late December tag so it should be some what cold. And what does putting meat in freezer bags before putting meat in the ice chest do?