Sign in to follow this  
rcdinaz

Tire pressure for towing?

Okay I did google this one but there were so many different answers I figured I would see what you guys with trailers do locally.

Vehicle: Avalanche with 35" M/T tires on 18" wheels, load E, max PSI 80 (yikes)

If I am towing a ~5,000lb trailer how should I run my tires. From google and many forums I have seen anywhere from 40-65 PSI. Most recommend front ~5lbs less than rear (when towing). From the tire shop they were set around ~38lbs.

I'm not a tire expert but I do pull a trailer quite a bit. I like to keep my back tires at at least 50 but I don't have 18s, so not too sure how much of a difference that would make. I would not run them at 40 though, that's seems to be a little too soft.

40 highway use, 30 moderate off road, 50 light trailers (0-5k) 55-65 heavy ackward trailer (4500-6k) tongue weight is more important than overall weight and tires heat while driving. If you go over recommended (on the side wall) it could heat and bubble or blow. Not likely at all but could with a big tire like that. Hard question to answer not knowing your trailer specs but I'd say cold pressure would be 50

• Like 1

Thanks for the feedback!

I read that the larger the wheel usually a bit more PSI as well. Sounds like 50 all around is a good starting point and see how it looks and feels.

Thanks for the feedback!

I read that the larger the wheel usually a bit more PSI as well. Sounds like 50 all around is a good starting point and see how it looks and feels.

looks are second or 3rd!!! Haha feel is everything! It's only your life bud, not a big deal?

F250 diesel my e rated are at 70. Pull up to 10k lbs

this

Load range E and Max psi is 80 I would run close to that. I run about max psi in my rear when towing with my F250 and a little lower in the front. That's what they are designed for. Don't risk being too low and letting that tire roll over to the rim.

Thanks for the feedback!

looks are second or 3rd!!! Haha feel is everything! It's only your life bud, not a big deal?

I hope it does not end up that dramatic. :blink: We have towed 2 similar trailers without messing with the tire pressure but after reading more about mileage and stopping I decided we should start doing it right.

Do I really need a brake controller?

jk :P

tire pressure maxes on tires are max for a cold air rating. they can safely hold quite a bit more. being a gas motor id run 70 rear and 60 front. start getting any heavier 80 rears 70 fronts

Thanks for all of the feedback!

I finally found a tire load inflation chart on the Toyo page, only took me a couple hours of searching!

It looks like I don't need to go over 60psi and probably only in the rear tires where the weight is greatest. I would still be guessing on the weight per tire to match the chart.

I'd say you are running too much tire and could probably be fine with Load Range D. If the E's are designed for 80 I would never run them less than 65. I don't know what kind of trailer you have but is it weighs 5K you really, really, really want to put a brake module on it especially considering you are towing with a vehicle that has such a shot wheelbase.

How many pounds of pressure are the rims rated for? Probably only 65. When you are towing, especially in hot weather you should check the pressure again after 50 miles or so as the tires will heat up and the pressure will increase as much as five pounds. If you are running the pressure too far below the recommended pressure it is going to increase the drag and make the tire heat up even more. If the tire pressure is low you will loose integrity of the sidewall and increase the amount on give in it which is a very bad thing especially if taking a turn at high speed since the sidewall will initially give as you increase the G Force going into the turn and the tire grip will be delayed because the sidewall isn't rigid/stiff enough to prevent the inevitable delay.

If you are not going to keep them reasonable inflated you are better off running D's and keeping them at 55psi. Tongue weigh is something that the dealer can tell you for the trailer. You can also use chalk and put a line across the tread and see if the complete tread pattern is contacting the road. I have an F250 and Have TOYO's in E that are rated for 65 and keep them at 60.

Thanks prdtr! I have the brake controller that was my poor attempt at sarcasm.

The wheels had a weight rating but I did not see anything with a psi rating, the weight rating should be okay for a 5k lb trailer. The wheels are only rated 2,200lbs and the tires 3,400lbs.

I am only driving about 100 miles and will probably stay at a campground so no rough stuff. I will drive around town first and make sure everything checks out. I planned on stopping half way as well to eat and check everything out. I read about the 4 PSI rule on tire inflation, if it goes up by more than you probably need more air. Now I can't find that article but that was what I had written down, AZ heat may make the rule less applicable. ;)

The truck is not my daily drive it is my hunting and fishing rig. I pull a boat with it fairly often but the boat, trailer, and all the gear is still probably less than 3K and the hitch weight is pretty low. I have never even though of messing with the tires with the boat but will be a little more aware now.