Sign in to follow this  
Camofreak

Hunting Hawaii?

I won a 5 night trip to Hawaii through work, which includes 800$ of spending money, does anyone know of any hunt in Maui? Reasonably priced? Figured I'd just turn it into a hunting trip lol.

• Like 1

I just looked up Hawaii outfitters last night. Mainly to see what type of game they have there. From what I saw Maui has axis deer and hogs. I believe the outfitter I looked at was about $1500 but I didn't pay much attention to the prices. Girlfriend has family there and turning it into a hunting trip was Her way of trying to sell me on a Hawaii trip.

• Like 1

To hunt in Hawaii you need to send them your hunter safety card and they will issue you a exemption number (since you didn't take the course in HI) and that will allow you to get a hunting license and permits (hunter safety is required). This needs to be done before you go or you will not be able to hunt. You also need to check in your firearm with the local police department when you get there. I have not hunted on Maui but have hunted multiple times on the Big Island. On the Big Island there is no need for a guide or outfitter because there are plenty of public hunting areas loaded with birds and animals to hunt. All you need to do is sign in and out of the hunting check stations. Licence is around $90 and most permits are no charge. Just make sure what you are wanting to hunt is in season when you are planning your trip.

In looking at the map it looks like there is quite a few areas to hunt on Maui. Most areas are open year round for pigs and goats. Some areas are only open on weekends. There is also one archery only area. The daily bag limit is 2 goats and 2 pigs per day. If you are after pigs look for any wild fruit or nut trees like guava mango papaya or mac nut. You might also check with any fruit or nut orchards, i sure they would love for you to help control the population of pigs. For birds check with the state for seasons. I have never seen so many different types of game birds in my life in large numbers. With no predators they are not to skittish and fun to hunt. Here is a link to the big game maps.

http://dlnr.hawaii.gov/huntered/files/2013/05/MammalHuntingRegs_Chap123.pdf

Need to contact Josh Smith he lives and hunts there not sure if he s still on cw real nice guy might be some good help !

• Like 2

Check out the Bowsite. There are some hunting Hawaii threads on there. Goats out the yin yang on Maui I believe. If you can get hooked up with a local I'm sure it will cost way less and probably better opportunity. There is public land like others have pointed out. Very steep country, good luck!

Need to contact Josh Smith he lives and hunts there not sure if he s still on cw real nice guy might be some good help !

I don't remeber his exact user name but I just text josh to look at this thread

• Like 2

keep this thread going.... I work in Hawaii ever so often and always wanted to take some personal time and go on a hunt.

Seen many hunts on TV. Tim Wells has wacked many animals in Hawaii....

You work for QT? My bro in law won one of the trips last year.

I do!!great company to work for while in college. Was totally not expecting to win the Hawaii trip, what's your bro-in laws name??

Check out the Bowsite. There are some hunting Hawaii threads on there. Goats out the yin yang on Maui I believe. If you can get hooked up with a local I'm sure it will cost way less and probably better opportunity. There is public land like others have pointed out. Very steep country, good luck!

Will do, would be super nice to get together with a local and be able to hunt something. Would definitely make things easier.

In looking at the map it looks like there is quite a few areas to hunt on Maui. Most areas are open year round for pigs and goats. Some areas are only open on weekends. There is also one archery only area. The daily bag limit is 2 goats and 2 pigs per day. If you are after pigs look for any wild fruit or nut trees like guava mango papaya or mac nut. You might also check with any fruit or nut orchards, i sure they would love for you to help control the population of pigs. For birds check with the state for seasons. I have never seen so many different types of game birds in my life in large numbers. With no predators they are not to skittish and fun to hunt. Here is a link to the big game maps.

http://dlnr.hawaii.gov/huntered/files/2013/05/MammalHuntingRegs_Chap123.pdf

I don't know what I could really kill, I don't know how I'd get any of the meat home or skulls, I should probably look into that aspect of it also.

If John Smith could message me, that'd be sweet.

There are boars all over Hawaii!!! The jungle is slick thick stuff so keep your grip every step and be ready to duck alot of branches. :-) There are also tons of goats, good eating.

I'm on the Big Island. When I bought my licence I just went into the DLNR office and showed them my hunter ed card for the exemption. They did it right there. The license for a NR is $115 and that includes everything. It's $10 cheaper if you don't intend to hunt birds. You do not need to register your bow with the PD only firearms. The link to the regs has already been posted. Here is a link to the hunting page at DLNR: http://dlnr.hawaii.gov/recreation/hunting/mammal/

Contact information for the island of Maui:
54 High Street, Room 101 Wailuku, HI 96793-0330 tel (808) 984-8100 fax (808) 984-8111

Most hunting areas are only open Saturday, Sunday and Holidays. Year round

Bird hunting is Saturday, Sunday, and Holidays from the first weekend in November til MLK day.

Spring turkey is the whole month of March.

Let me know if you have any questions and I'll see if I can dig up an answer.