ruffcountry

atv's

Growing up I had a 1985 Honda 4trax 250 2wheel drive. Great quad. My dad still drives it. It got me anywhere I needed to go without problem and seemed to have plenty of power. I never saw a need for 4x4.

Now I drive a Yamaha 700 4x4 at work. I find myself using 4x4 daily. Driving in deep sandy washes or steep hill climbs the 4x4 is great. I could make it in 2wd but with a lot more speed which is more dangerous.

That being said if all you are doing is driving on dirt roads with the occasional obstacles, 2wd will be fine. But if you will be climbing a lot of nasty hills I would look at a 4x4

• Like 1

The biggest reason for the 4x4 for me is on steep,loose terrain. On loose rocks you have to hit it a little faster in 2wd which can be bad on an incline if the front end comes up. With 4wd you can cruiz up that stuff nice and easy.

• Like 1

I dont know whats going on . I had a reply all typed up but it disappeared . then I couldn't reply at all hence the reply that says test . then it got stuck while trying to edit that one . maybe its working now .

I got more info on the quad . a friend has 2 for sale . 1 is a 2wd Honda 250 , he says it is a good machine . the other is Suzuki 500 4wd . he wants twice as much $ for the Suzuki but says as friend he would rather sell me the 250 . I m going to ride them tomorrow maybe that will help . i've always liked 4wd things so I'm definitely leaning that way . seems to me that slow and sure on steep loose trail is better.

someone asked where we're going . this year my tags says unit 27 .

thanks for all the replies .

• Like 1

IMO buying a 2 wheel drive quad would be like buying a 2 wheel drive truck. It's a quad, why wouldn't you get 4 wheel drive?

• Like 1

Good thread guys!!! I'm also in the market for a quad. Thinking about a Honda 4x4 350cc or bigger. Pm me if you have one for sale, if the other guy doesn't want it.

I have the Suzuki Eiger 400 4x4 and love it!! And boy I do go through some nasty terrain, up hill and down hill you name it! 400 in my opinion is more than enough power a hunter needs.

Ernesto C

• Like 1

I didn't even know they made a ATV that wasn't 4x4. A 2 wheel drive might be ok riding on flat, dry ground but you get up in the high country with snow, rain, mud, rough terrain, blow downs and all you have is 2 wheel drive I gar-own-tee you are done !!

I don't own one but do have a truck that I take out in almost as many places as a 4wheeler goes and maybe more in some cases. I wouldn't be caught dead in a truck that's not 4x4. I figure you buy a 4wheeler or side by side so you don't have to beat up your truck? Might as well be 4 wheel drive.

i rode the 2 machines . there were no hills to climb but he did have an obstacle course with rocks and logs . I wasn't comfortable going over those on the 2wd 250 , felt much better on the larger 4wd . now I think 4wd probably only way to go