Sign in to follow this  
Sneaker

Limited Opt Archery Gold

Was blessed with this awesome bull yesterday at 2pm.

This was a new unit for me, did quite a bit of scouting until I found the area with the highest concentration of elk. I hunted 6.5 days total. First weekend not much activity. Second week it was pretty good action in the morning on the 16, 17th, and 18th. Heard bugles every morning and bulls would come in to cow calls if you snuck in close first, some fully committed, some cautiously. I called in a bull my buddy harvested on Friday morning. This week was different. Hunted Wed and yesterday, Thursday, not a single call was heard. No herds found, no mature bulls. It was hot yesterday especially. I almost decided to call it a hunt, I'd hiked around 59 miles in those days of hunting and felt like our sweet spot had been burned up and maybe the elk had scattered, or at least the rut shut down because of the heat. But, my dad and wife encouraged me to stick it out the rest of the day. I decided to take a flyer on a dirt tank several miles away that had some recent tracks and wallows, even though it had rained Tuesday night.

I had not completely finished getting situated in the tree/brush blind that I had made before the season than I hear some running. 7 cows and calves came in to the water on a trot. I was super pumped as I expected a bull to follow but started to lose hope as the ladies drank and played in the water for probably 7 minutes by themselves. All of the sudden, I look up and here he comes. He B lines it straight to the mud and turns broadside and starts pawing at the ground to make himself a new wallow. I wasted no time as the wind was right and none of the cows were facing towards me, pulled back and put one right on the money at 32 yards. All heck broke lose, he runs through the pond and I see the arrow just pushing out the skin on the opposite side. He puts the brakes on the the opposite bank and I hit him with a follow up just to be sure.

I could not believe what had just happened. I was just half an hour removed from a decision that almost had me back at my house eating some tag soup, but I now found myself lucky as a leprechaun. I found my bull about 100 yards later.

post-8768-0-94577600-1443207037_thumb.jpg

post-8768-0-32182600-1443207052_thumb.jpg

post-8768-0-00625800-1443207064_thumb.jpg

post-8768-0-34826400-1443207067_thumb.jpg

post-8768-0-93161500-1443207072_thumb.jpg

post-8768-0-79069700-1443207161_thumb.jpg

• Like 24

Teaser….that is just cruel.

More D

Bulls/Buck with character are the BEST! Thanks for Sharing! Now don't be a dork and give us a good pic haha some of us didn't draw and have to live vicariously through others this season.

Man, what a pretty, old, gnarly bull. Congrats. Way to stick it out