Sign in to follow this  
trphyhntr

Do you use shooting sticks?

Bipod. If things get tough and the grass or cover in the way is tall, the sticks are cool, but the triclawps works well when you have a tripod or any nice elevated rock will do in a pinch. As you ask, any kind of solid rest makes huge diff!

• Like 3

this weekend my wife (who is a hobbit) will have the trifecta going. A Caldwell bipod with short legs for prone shots, the triclawps available if she needs to sit or stand and I carry the shooting sticks in my pack at all times for rush situations. With kids and other new hunters I have learned to be prepared.

Two years ago on her cow hunt we had elk at 118 yds first thing opening morning but when she went to sit down to shoot from the sticks she couldn't see over the grass. By the time she got set up the elk were gone. Lesson learned. This year we will have the tripod ready to slam down for that situation.

• Like 5

I use a Caldwell bipod, 9-13" I believe. Works great for prone shots. If the grass is too tall, I just lay my pack down and put the bipod on that. Usually gives me enough to see over the grass. We also carry Jerry-rigged U-braces for our tripods if needed.

• Like 2

i've always used a short harris bipod. if the grass is too high to lay down, i make sure to get close enough where i feel dead steady shooting off my tripod or by throwing my backpack over a bush and shooting off that

• Like 2

I have an Eberlestock rifle rest on top of my backpack. That's the pack I use when I plan to cover a lot of miles.

If I am going light, then I carry a set of Stone Creek Safari Grade collapsible shooting sticks. The collapsible sticks usually fit in my front pocket with the top part of the sticks that stick out of my front pocket gets tucked under my coat. They are quiet, light, and set up very quick.

Quick-Release-Shooting-Bipod-Safari-Coll225662.jpg

• Like 1

is it pretty easy and quiet when youre trying to setup to shoot?

yes, for my shooting sticks you only need to know a few terms.....

Alto, silencio su Boca.....

• Like 2

I'm taking my brother and our new-to-hunting buddy in a couple weeks and I almost wanted to ask a poll on what most people preferred to give them some options. Great thread to start, trphyhntr.

My two long rifle shots on coues were sitting, off my tripod with the binoculars folded down, also using my pack under my armpit for extra support on the stock. Worked very well for me when prone on the pack is not an option. Maybe give that a shot too.

• Like 1

This is gonna make people mad, but i wish they would outlaw the claw and similar products for hunting. people line the rifle up and lock it down where all the shooter (usually a little kid) has to do is touch the trigger. they don't even have to look through a scope. then they brag about how their kid made a perfect shot at X amount of yards.

This is gonna make people mad, but i wish they would outlaw the claw and similar products for hunting. people line the rifle up and lock it down where all the shooter (usually a little kid) has to do is touch the trigger. they don't even have to look through a scope. then they brag about how their kid made a perfect shot at X amount of yards.

I'm certainly not mad but I do respectfully disagree. Outlawing something because it assists kids and the inexperienced in getting cleaner, often one shot kills doesn't make much sense in the big picture of hunting. And I like to see parents bragging on their kids regardless of how the trigger was pulled, as long as it was the kids finger. I hope and pray I can brag myself one day.

• Like 4