Sign in to follow this  
PRDATR

Question about hours and pay as a salaried employee

A relative started a job just over a year ago with the State as an hourly employee. Recently was given a raise and was made salary and basically works five days and 40 hours. They said that in a few months they are going to increase production and everyone will have to work 7 days a week for six months so basically no time off and no mention of OT Pay so it works out to working for free two days a week.

On top of that they had everyone sign a form that they created telling the employees that the place was shutting down for a week around Christmas and all the employees have to use their vacation time for that week. Thoughts?

Guest akaspecials

Welcome to Corporate America. In my experience that is pretty standard. It's exactly why I became an independent contractor. Although I don't have any stability, benifits, etc. I get my hourly rate no matter what...

Guest wdenike

And in the fine print. YOU WILL BE REQUIRED TO TURN IN YOUR GUNS IF YOU ARE A GUN OWNER. All I can say is " OUR FOREFATHERS WOULD HAVE BEEN DONE SHOOTING BYE NOW " Some times ALL employees have to learn to say chit when they have a mouth full. Or the abuse will continue. Key word ALL, or the lone one sticking up for themselve will miraculously find themselve kicking a can down the road. Rotsa Ruck!!!! When people collectively learn to be their own Union instead of paying others ( SHAKE DOWN ) they will be better off.

Take care, Willie

• Like 1

Welcome to moving up in the world. Pretty standard practice for salary jobs.

If you're good at your job your bonuses etc should make up for the difference In the long run.

What kind of business are you in? The 7 days a week sounds a bit much. Most salary jobs are only 5-6 day work weeks and have never heard of 7 day work weeks.

You might want to contact the labor board to get your facts straight from the horses mouth

But, if you signed off on it there is nothing you can really do if you want to protest it with the labor board.

• Like 1

+ 1 to some of the other comments.

Like many others here, I work in the 'corporate' world. This is standard practice.... Nothing new or out of the ordinary. Exempt vs. Non-exempt employees are treated different legally. Exempt employees (salaried) do not get compensated for the hours they work. They get compensated for the work they do.

Six months of 7x per week sounds a bit extreme, and I would be surprised if that is actually the case (they would lose too many people to attrition, IMO....). I basically work 7 days per week, 365 per year because I have a large organization I am responsible for. There are always phone calls, working nights, etc. I'm lucky though, in that there is flexibility afforded to those who burn the midnight oil. If I or someone who works for me works off hours or extremely long hours for a period of itme, the option is there to flex time around and get a little time off to keep from going crazy and/or getting burned-out. ;)

S.

Sucks my gf is salary and was working about 70 hours a week for a couple months. It's ridiculous

Does she like her job? Does she make good money? Would she rather look for another job?

I am salary too. Sometimes it sucks. I work between 55-112 hours per week. 90% of the time, 55-65 hours. Good pay, and decent benefits, so I stick it out on the longer hour weeks. I get a week paid sick, 3 weeks paid vacation, plus 10 paid holidays and one personal day. That is 6 weeks off paid. So about 240 hours paid.

It is tough finding good jobs, so my suggestion is to suck it up if the job is worth it. As far as a "State" employee, even the salaried ones I know work 40 hours and get compensation for any OT they need to pull. And State benefits are usually very good.

• Like 1

We base our salery guys on a 46 hour work week. We also require they still punch a clock to track bad eggs on hours. It is normal to work more hours at times on salery and it is legal. 16 hours in a week free basically is not bad but the 7 days is. Basically she needs to decide if she will gain a lot of that back in the future. So if she has a laid back cushy job ounce this time period of 7 days is up and maybe gets away with 4 day weeks or shorter days then it may be worth it. If not and this may continue it may be time to look around for new job. I have refused for years to go salery and am lucky I have not been fired yet but I'm still hourly. I have been told many times legally I need to be salery but I keep rocking the boat and they keep looking the other way. Sounds like the company is in financial bind and is digging out on the backs of its workers. Just a matter of where she sees it in the long Ru. And if it might get better or not. By the way cooperate company's , most of them have destroyed american jobs and way of life IMO. Hiring contract only with no benefits just to make more profit and of course taking folks out of their homes 7 days a week never helps either. Sorry ladies but the world would be much Bette if you were home and dad was working for you and the family. I think that's gone or close to it. I would not be able to sleep if I was making my employees leave their family 7 days a week even if only for 8 hours.

• Like 3

minus the forced holiday break and a few other Holidays .. that is over 180 days straight you say she would be working . Unless some days are very short or on call, I doubt that will fly salaried or not. Also, many state jobs have Unions involved , if there is A union involved hard to believe they would even let such a proposition begin.

Sounds about right. Being a salary employee has its pros and cons. Treating your employees bad (i.e. making them work 7 days a week for and extended amount of time) will not be good for retaining any of the good employees. If they can find something better, they will. If not, they'll suck it up.

Also, shutting down for a week and making you use your vacation time isn't that bad. Some companies have a use it or lose it policy. At least they're making you use it.

State of Arizona workers do not have unions or this would not happen. It is against state law for an employee of the State of AZ to form a union. with that said state employee's are told when to work how to work and often work 60 hours in 4 days and told too take the fifth day off to avoid being paid overtime. they use the term adjust your time off. been there and done that for 25 years. That is one reason that state employees are lazy and disgruntled. they have no representation to fight this sort of abuse.

Life is too short to work 7 days a week! F that!

She has to figure out what's important to her. Quality of life is far more important to me.

• Like 1

TOTAL BS. This is a municipality, Government at work. They tried that crap with me before and it didn't fly. I was union tho. Is this is a union he is in?