Sign in to follow this  
PRDATR

Question about hours and pay as a salaried employee

A lot of people are hesitant about things like overtime, etc. I've been salary for more than 6 years and my current salary is about 3x what my hourly wage was when I switched, + I don't lose money if I'm sick a day or two, and I know exactly how much money I'll make every payday, which is great for budgeting. If you're good at what you do and want to 'move up the ladder', you will end up being salary at some point. Hourly wages can only move up to a certain point, salary positions can go up faster and way beyond that point.

In 2012 one of the governors biggest pushes was to make state employees an At Will Workforce, meaning all employees would eventually become uncovered employees. In order for her to pass the budget for that year this had to happen,so effective September 29th 2012 all state employees a pay grade 19 and higher and all supervisors immediately went uncovered and any new state hired employee from here on out are uncovered. Any employee that was not a supervisor or less than a pay grade 19 could stay covered but if that employee ever changed their job status then they automatically become uncovered. Law enforcement being the exception. If employee chose to stay covered they are never eligible for a pay raise.

I remember when I made it into management and got my pay cut, I mean raise..

The whole use vacation for a week off is BS.. Salary is salary for better or for worse.

• Like 3

I was asked to go on salary and sign a non-compete contract 17 years ago. I've been in business for myself now for 17 years.

• Like 3

That actually sounds excessive, 7 day work week. As a salaried employee I do understand that there is a certain amount "ot" that I will give to the company, but to effectively extend my hours by 50% with no compensation is something I would seriously take a look into with regards to my personal well being.

There are other ways to get compensated by the company other than cash, they may be willing to give her time off without her having to pay it out of her own personal time off hours?

See if the she and the company can work something out in regards to compensation, if she's willing to put in the time and effort then hopefully management will be able to help her out.

If not then there's something seriously wrong with the expectations of the company.

TOTAL BS. This is a municipality, Government at work. They tried that crap with me before and it didn't fly. I was union tho. Is this is a union he is in?

No it's not unionized or this wouldn't be going on. They don't give them any HAZMAT training or do any safety toolbox meetings either. They do spray some chemicals and give them a full respirator/face shield to wear but never had the employees get tested to see if they were able to wear one without if affecting their breathing.

• Like 1

It sucks, but it also sounds "normal" for projects during crunch time. Is he/she "covered" or "uncovered"? I spent 10 years with the state and at the time, they had "covered" and "uncovered" exempt employees. The covered had union type representation and it was basically impossible to fire any of them even if they didn't do anything. I believe the covered also get overtime pay. A number of these people were with the state for decades and were highly unproductive. When I first started there, we had one guy put on a performance review plan, and after 3 months of non-performance, he was able to reclassify his position to a lower grade and had 2 years to meet those lower standards. Oh, and kept his full salary during that period. Just didn't seem right to me. :(

Regarding your relative's situation, it partially depends on their manager. I've seen managers grant "comp time" for a portion of the required OT, but not all of it. As many on here have said, your relative has to decide whether or not the pay and benefits are worth the required OT. If so, stick it out. if not, start looking elsewhere. It doesn't matter whether your work in the private or public sector, we each have to decide when it's time to make a job change. Regarding the Christmas shut down, I've heard that happens frequently in manufacturing facilities in the private sector, but I never saw it in the state agencies where I worked.

I hated all of this and that's why I started my own company! I work more but make lot more, any vacation time is paided!! :). I have my guys working 4- 10 hour days. If we got to work more it's lot better coming in on a Friday to do over time then a Saturday. But if I really need them to do more which is rare I demand it and expect it. They all know this before hand and that really my Big Point. It doesn't matter what others think or feel but if an employer and employee negotiating and agreed on a price that's their business. I expect a lot out of my guys and when they perform i bonus. But on this situation I wouldn't feel good telling somebody that they will be on salary and consciously knowing that I am going to up their work schedule so I can make more money. That's just me. Treat your guys right I they better treat me right. Because I'm not going to treat you right and pay you at the same time when you can't do your job! Good luck and the job quest!

• Like 1

It really depends on the company. 7 days a week for months on end,. will burn you out quick! I worked salary once, and there was really no upside for me. Unless I was getting paid a stellar amount, I wouldn't do it again.

Expected to work all weekend and not informed about it until 5:30pm on a Friday. Expected to respond to emails at all hours. Expected to join meetings with last minute invite during lunch hour. Expected to take calls on vacation. Expected to attend meetings where there are 20+ people and nothing efficient comes out of it. And simultaneously get work done, while being able to recite minutes of the meeting. It seems like anything goes anymore, it's crazy. LOL. The facts are: if there is no work / play balance, it is not a healthy company or environment.

• Like 4

Not sure what your relatives finances are, but I would have to take a long hard look to see if it was worth it!! I am in business for myself & I work long hours, but I make sure I take at least one day off to relax. I was a salaried employee before & I missed a lot of my kids growing up. I would never do it again life is way to short to do nothing but work!!!

My crew all top out at max per hour this year with no more raises(except an annual bonus for a similar amount). My salary pay has 35k in increases before i top out plus I get the bonuses. I am fortunate enough to only pull 5 8s with minimal call ins. I carry a "batphone at all times which rings at all times but that is part of management. If I rack up extra time then I just take off a Friday without using any PTO. But my boss is not a d!ck and I as a boss over 17 people would never ask them to work 7 days a week for that long or ever. Emergencies need to be tended to but meeting a deadline from piss poor planning nope. I would be down the road unless I knew there was a hck of a bonus waiting for me and my crew.