Sign in to follow this  
Heat

Kaibab Youth Hunt

My stepson was fortunate to draw a tag for the Kaibab Youth antlerless deer hunt. This would be his first big game hunt. We arrived late on Friday and got our stuff set up and hunted a bit. Didn't see anything that night so we were eagerly anticipating the next day. We had a nice walk in the morning and ended up with a chance or two but no shots. We went and called my wife and on the way back to camp some hunters asked if we were still hunting as we were passing next to them on the road. They said there were some deer down below us so we parked to check it out. Thanks again! Anyways Andrew got out to see where they were and I was right behind him. He took a quick shot and missed, followed by another. The deer were still in some cover so not leaving too fast yet. I saw a doe looking at us and not moving so I pointed her out to Andrew. He took a knee and waited until she stepped in the open exposing her vitals and he took another shot. It looked and sounded good to me and him so we waited a couple minutes then went to see what we could. After a short look in the thick blown down trees we found her and went to work. Andrew made a clean heart shot with my ol 30-30 with iron sights. He was really happy and I was super proud!

I really appreciate all the effort and heat the Department takes to put on this hunt. Great opportunity for the kids to get a deer. We camped with AZBugler and his boys and couldn't have asked for better company. We all had a wonderful time. We give Thanks to the Almighty for His providence and grace. We are sure glad to live in Arizona where we can enjoy such a wonderful place as the Kaibab!

post-2759-0-61365600-1444746409_thumb.jpgpost-2759-0-59427500-1444746466_thumb.jpg

post-2759-0-49425500-1444746526_thumb.jpg

• Like 13

Congrats on his first deer!

Way to go, Nick!!! THAT is what it is all about, my friend!!! The 30-30 with iron sights makes it that much more awesome, IMO (something a little nostalgic about that... ^_^ )!! Awesome for your boy!!!

I agree that kudos go to the AZ G&F for offering this hunt for the young ones. All three of my children killed their first deer on this hunt, and it was an amazing experience for them! I was up there again this past weekend with a friend and his two kids for their first deer kills. Can't get enough of the Jr. Hunts!!! :D

Thanks for sharing with the site!!

S.

:)

• Like 1

Great story. Congrats on the deer. Congrats on the shooting. Good to see people giving thanks to God & the AZGFD.

• Like 1

Hey Nick, thanks for sharing! I hope Chris and his boys had good luck as well! Enjoy the time, it goes Waaay to fast! My daughter is finishing her last year at the U, we will get to hunt next month together, and then no telling where work and the world will take her.

Tell Andrew congratulations, and I hope that is the first of many great hunts you guys share!

Iron sites for his first deer, that's just awesome. Congrats.

• Like 1