Sign in to follow this  
PhxDT

Creative Solution to Field Dressing Elk

I am sure many of you have thought of this, but anyone tried to field dress an elk with a cordless reciprocating saw (sawzall)?

The new compact designs weigh 2lbs and I can handle that extra weight, if it makes the job simpler. I wouldn't use for skinning, obviously.

The gutless method is awesome. Get a Wyoming game saw. Great hacksaw for cutting through bone, and a havalon for skinning. All you will need

• Like 6

The gutless method is awesome. Get a Wyoming game saw. Great hacksaw for cutting through bone, and a havalon for skinning. All you will need

+1 only way to go

Have done so, but not cordless. It was a blacktail and the only thing I could find to hang him from was my trucks lumber rack standing on its end.

I had to do it in my carport in a Seattle suburb. But I kept the water hose handy in case any of those PETA types showed up.

• Like 2

I always try to remember the cordless sawsall! Great tool for elk. Didn't have on the last couple of cows this year and missed it!

Gutless method- all you need is a good knife no bone saw needed.

• Like 2

The cordless sawzall would be great for cutting the skull cap.I use the gutless method and debone everything.Cant eat the bones so why pack them out.

• Like 1

Gutless for this guy, but my father did the saw saw method and when he was done he had to throw it away. Got all mucked up and stunk like no other. Theres a reason why commercial bone sawa are completely sealed. Don't do it. Go gutless and bone it done.

• Like 1

gutless, pillow cases for game bags, only thing you need a saw for is the antlers, if you shoot a cow just scalp the head from behind the ears to the top of the eyeballs, it will fit in a 1 gal ziplock and be your proof of legality

Ok so how did you keep the muscle , cartilage, marrow, blood out of the recuperating part of the saw into the motor shaft, of course the blade will get bumped up that's easy to clean. So please educate my dumb butt . Anyway how about this weather??

Woody, the weather is something great! As for the sawsall, I have to tell you I repaired tools for almost 20 years and as long as your seals are good nothing gets in the motor. Now if they aren't good you would have grease flying out as you use it.

Love the rain!

Sawzall great if butchering in camp and like bone in steaks. Gutless boneless method obviously best when paxking meat out. :)

I have used sawzalls on many critters and when you remove blade you just gotta wipe off area that holds blade, no biggy. Mine has gone with me ever since it was the hot item in N.M. when we took 6 buffalo and couldn't keep batteries for my cordless all charged quick enough. L.O.L. very nice to hang animal and cut directly down center thru spine and get that baby cooling quick! Sweet for cutting ribs for the barbi!

• Like 2