Sign in to follow this  
KaibabHunter

Tire chains?

Going on our first late rifle bull tag southeast of flagstaff. Curious if these are a must have for this hunt or not. Truck is 4wd but gets loose in the mud and has never experienced snow.

Ryan

Surprised nobody chimed in on this topic. Definitely a good idea to have a set of tire chains for a late elk hunt. It's supposed to be a super wet winter. Good luck on your hunt!

Hunted Colorado and AZ for years and it's ALWAYS a good idea to have chains. A winch can make a world of dif too. Got stuck a few times and chains or the winch made all the dif in having to dig and claw or just drive your way out. Make sure you have a "High Lift" jack to put those chains on as well.

I would get all 4 and also carry a come-along and a tow strap. It may take a little time but you should be able to get our of just about any hole.

I have been shopping for some myself. About the most aggressive chain I could find for the money was actually through Cabelas. Similar chains at Etrailer and Tire chain .com are about $50 a set more. One drawback is that the Cabelas chains don't have the cam tighteners, they utilize a T bar system. Bought two sets. By doing this I actually saved a ton of money, I was thinking about lifting my truck and bigger tires. Bought the chains first so now I will continue to roll with the tire size it came with.

Daughter has a late bull hunt also.

• Like 1

1 set should do the job. be sure and put them on in your driveway or garage to make sure they clear your fenders and brake parts. Check front and back and both sides on the front. Even with tighteners and the cam the chains will run loose when in motion so if there is a tight spot don't use them unless your prepared to make the repair. I always have chains on late hunts and have never (knock on wood) had to use them.

Good Luck on your hunt.

If you can get a set for each axle. On a Jan. Barbary Sheep hunt over by Mnt. Taylor in the early 80's here in NM we woke up to about 3" of snow, 10 am we chained up the front axle on the Jeep, 11 am we chained up the back as there was about 18" of snow at that time. We were the only hunters who could drive anywhere since we were the only ones with chains. I have only used them about 6 times but if you need them you will be glad you have them.

• Like 2

I have a full set of real chains for my truck. I have thankfully only had to use them 1 time but let me tell you there is no replacement for real tire chains. \

I have a late rifle cow tag north of Flagstaff and they will be in the truck for sure.

I may only be able to afford 1 set. Anybody got a hook up? My tires are 35x12.5x18. Finding some online for about $100/pair not including tax and shipping which is $65 more.