Sign in to follow this  
AverageJoe

Ballistic data comparison

Curious how many different yardages / moa we will all come up with with the following data. I have seen a big discrepancy between the differnet apps and software.

Post your 650 yd results in moa and inches of drop

-.308 180 gn accubond . factory bc of .507

-2900 fps

-100 yd zero

-5500 ft elevation

-60 degrees

-60 percent humidity

-site height 1.5"

Using the older Berger Bullet calculator I am getting 13.3 MOA / 90.50" of drop at 650 Yards using the above-listed conditions.

Using isnipe i get two different answers depending on which time i log on lol. 13.25 moa and 13.38 moa.

Very interesting! Great idea to compare the different apps........

• Like 1

and We wonder why We hear people shoot 10 times

I wish more people understood the EXTREME importance of verifying their balistic data in real world hunting situations. Almost all balistic calculators will need to be tweeked a little or a lot.

• Like 6

So just based on the limited responses so far we have more than 1 moa of deviation. At 650 yds that is almost 7" off.

So just based on the limited responses so far we have more than 1 moa of deviation. At 650 yds that is almost 7" off.

This is why I use an app to get me close and why I always shoot from 200 yards to 1000 in varying conditions to verify what my rifle is actually doing. Nothing beats actual shot and recorded data.

• Like 2

Using the applied ballistics calculator and using the g7 ballistics of that bullet as well as a 1 in 10 twist barrel I got this.

13.65 moa

92.91" of drop

Using the factory G1 BC you posted I got this.

13.5 moa

91.90" of drop

Pretty interesting to see the variations. Totally agree with verifying data by shooting these ranges.

GSeven has a calculator that you can use then you also input your results after shooting at the range and it gives you a "true muzzle velocity" that helps match your actual drop curve.

Just in case you weren't aware of that already.

• Like 1

I got slightly different on Shooter but very close and did notice if I play with turning on and off Coriolis and spin drift it changes 3-4 inches and 0.1 MOA.

G7 vs G1 is obviously a little different even as a starting place. A few other variables available as well depending on the program.

I agree with all of the other assessment, you gotta shoot it at some point!

What is the DA (standard DA for 5500' is approximately 24.45)? Just elevation alone won't get you enough info, it depends on weather conditions. Last week, on a deer hunt at 8114' elevation at the exact same location, over 8 days, I had a fluctuation from 21.03 to 22.81 for density altitude depending on weather. That make a difference in actual drops at distance.

Litz has the 180 NAB @ .481 actual G1 BC. Not the published .507 that Nosler claims. Another big discrepancy.

What were your sight in conditions? Ambient temp, altitude, DA, powder temp, etc.?

How temp sensitive is your powder? Twist on barrel?

As for your original question, (standard DA, 1 in 12" twist barrel, temp stable powder, sight in conditions exactly the same as shooting conditions) I get:

13.6 MOA

92.4" drop

2.0" spin drift right

1950.9 fps

1521.1 ft/lbs

By additionally adding the assumed corrected standard DA (24.45) and keeping the altitude, I get:

13.0 MOA

86.4" drop

2.1" spin drift right

2108.4 fps

1776.6 ft/lbs

Change sight in conditions, and it throws everything way out of whack.

Sight in conditions (with a non-temp stable powder like an Accurate RL19 or IMR4831 of up to 2 fps per 1°) @ 95°F, 1900' elevation (28.45 DA), 50% humidity, and then use your shooting condition data: (Temp stable powders eliminate most of these discrepancies, but not everyone uses Hodgdon extreme powders)

14.3 MOA

97.6" drop

2.1" spin drift right

1895.7 fps

1436.2 ft/lbs

These discrepancies, as others have stated, is exactly why we need to go verify actual drops in actual varying conditions. Not just shooting at the same altitude/temp/environment, and then expecting to hit a game animal at 650 yards in conditions that are different than we are accustomed to shooting. Another reason that long range shooting cannot be learned in a single year unless you put hundreds of rounds downrange at a lot of varying conditions, elevations, temps, etc.