Sign in to follow this  
hoghntr

Bowhunter4life strikes with rifle!

Thank you every one for the kind comments. The last time I pulled the trigger on a deer with a rifle was 2004. Just a few miles from where I harvested this fine buck. My hunt took place in beautiful southern Az with a left over tag. I ended up taking a solo trip, due to other issues that came up with my friends who also drew the tag. I arrived at 3:30 pm Thursday, set camp, pulled my chair up, cracked a Corona, then began to glass the distant mountain about a mile off. Within short order, I found about 16 deer with three of them being bucks, one looked very nice. I watched them until it was to dark to see.

The Alarm went off at 4:30 am. My plan was to set up in the dark about 200 yards from the bluff they were feeding at. I was a bit late as I was able to start to see the gray of the morning. I needed to get to the bluff to have the advantage. So I started glassing from there. All I know is these mountains are a lot bigger than they look ( I am out of shape)!! After about 15 minutes of not seeing anything, I proceeded up to the buff, About half way there I heard a faint rock being rolled. I looked back, There was the three bucks headed toward my camp. Lesson learned, they feed down the mountain over night, I ended up passing them in the dark.

I decided to head to the tip of the a rock formation, That I found many years ago, it offers a superb glassing opportunity. Within a few minutes I found a group of bucks feeding parallel to me but a half mile away. I new there was a very nice ledge that would put me about 400 yards to them. I ended up backtracking and practically running to set up. As I looked over, I noticed 2 bucks sparing about 250 yards away. By then, I new these were new bucks, I then glassed to where I last seen the other bucks, I was shocked when they were only 100 up from the other two but feeding toward me. There ended being 7 bucks with a group of does.

The rest is history, being an avid bowhunter for so long, I think I really enjoyed pulling the trigger! We already had some fresh hamburger, Yummy!

post-519-0-47683700-1446952891_thumb.jpg

post-519-0-12479100-1446952913_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Good looking buck nice work