Sign in to follow this  
Yoshi

Rocky Mountain MD in AZ

I know that the south Arizona side is Desert MD but what areas hold Rocky Mountain MD? or only the units 12 and the 13...

My question is because I have hunted 24b Even the south 22 and or 23 is Desert areas, is there any RM, mules deer's?

I think there is some Kaibab strain/ Rocky Mountain in 23, if not, they would be really huge desert Mulies. I have seen Mulies over the 200 mark in 23 before.

• Like 2

Conifer trees/Oak/Chapparal = Rocky Mtn Mule Deer

Palo Verde/Saguaro/Creosote = Desert Mule Deer

There are both sub-species in 23. Think Rocky near the Rim and Desert down by Roosevelt Lake. There is very likely a zone that has both sub-species intermingling.

• Like 1

what about unit 1/ 27. are they rocky mountain?

unit 1 is all Rocky, as is 27 i would think. when i think of a true desert buck, i see a really low desert deer. under 2,500' elevation or so. their bodies are usually a lot smaller and their antlers USUALLY lack the mass that rockys get. genetically, i doubt if there is any difference at all in the two subspecies. the desert deer probably just lack body size and antler mass due to nutrition. there is a lot more to eat and a lot more water in higher elevations

• Like 1

Deer can get big anywhere in the state. It takes age, feed and moisture to get big. If deer find a spot with good moisture and feed and can grow old they have the chance to get some size and mass. Look at when the rains hit last year and how good the growth has been this year.

• Like 2

unit 1 is all Rocky, as is 27 i would think. when i think of a true desert buck, i see a really low desert deer. under 2,500' elevation or so. their bodies are usually a lot smaller and their antlers USUALLY lack the mass that rockys get. genetically, i doubt if there is any difference at all in the two subspecies. the desert deer probably just lack body size and antler mass due to nutrition. there is a lot more to eat and a lot more water in higher elevations

there was a big deer, 296", taken down in the kofas. pictures of the ones i see taken in mexico are good body size also. it seems there are several sub species , gene pools.

there was a big deer, 296", taken down in the kofas. pictures of the ones i see taken in mexico are good body size also. it seems there are several sub species , gene pools.

I wanna shoot a 296! Heck i will even drop hammer on a 290

The SCI record book lists the range of desert mule deer in Arizona as:

South of Highway 68 from Davis Dam on Lake Mohave eastward to Kingman on Interstate 40, then south of Interstate 40 between Kingman and the intersection with Hwy 93, then southwest of Hwy 93 southward between Kingman and Wickenburg, then south of latitude 34°N eastward between Wickenburg and Carrizo on Hwy 60, then west of Hwy 60 southward between between Carrizo and Globe on Hwy 70, then south of Hwy 70 between Globe and Safford, then south of Hwys 191 and 78 from Safford to the New Mexico border.

Mule deer taken north of that line are listed as Rocky Mountain mule deer in the club's record book.

Bill Quimby

• Like 3

I disagree with this map for Southern California label of desert mule deer. The deer in the Traverse Ranges north of Los Angeles are California mule deer. The Deer of the mountains and hills south of San Gabriel and Pomona Valleys are Southern mule deer (Baja mule deer). It is possible historically that the deer of Los Angeles area were a hybrid between California mule deer and Southern mule deer.  Not desert mule deer. Also Southern part of Baja may be a different subspecies of mule deer. I also think inland San Bernardino, Riverside, and Imperial Counties have lowland desert areas where mule deer are absent until the Arizona border.