Sign in to follow this  
Edge

Respect the Coues!

From where the top picture was taken, my buddy Charlie glassed up a buck on top of that tall pyramid shaped hill in the center of the picture. We were about a 1/2 mile into a 24b Wilderness area.

2 hours and two miles later, we got to within 300 yards. Moments later two bucks got up and started browsing up on that hill, it was now noon. The shot was too steep for a prone position and I eventually found a mesquite sapling to get a partial rest on.

Heard that age old thunk of a solid hit as a piece of fur went airborne.

The 85gr Sierra HP entered the front right shoulder low but was at such a steep angle, exited the left lung. He went over backwards.

Took a good 45 minutes to get up that hill only to find him back on his feet and running over the crest of the hill. Got a shot off as he leaped over and out of sight. Tracked his blood trail to a ridge line. He went straight down 200 yards into a canyon and got hung up in a young tree.

You know it's steep when you can fall into the top of a tree. Getting down to him I managed to slide under a mesquite and get my gear pretty hung up. Meanwhile Charlie could hear the buck below choking and found him, I put a .380 in him to end it. Turns out my final rifle shot had hit his left leg below the hock. How he got so far got my attention and respect.

The Deer had to be dragged a ways for butchering just so we all would not roll the next 1/4 mile down to the Canyon bottom.

I want to give my heart felt thanks to my friends and family that helped out. Mulepackhunter Mike for working so hard on my rifle and breathing new life into a treasured aireloome. The old Winchester 88 did you proud and I hope we get you out in the field in a week and a half.

Charlie (Eagleeye), it's been great getting to know you, what a wonderful family you have. Thanks so much for those great optics and long, lanky legs that helped pack this deer out. I will be glad to return the favor in the weeks ahead with a little mule friend of mine.

A big thanks to the Coueswt.com family for your friendship and offers to help. My hat is off to the dedicated hunters that have made the stalking and taking of these elusive, tough deer, a destination.

post-11051-0-57037700-1449168304_thumb.jpg

post-11051-0-23871900-1449168359_thumb.jpg

• Like 20

Congrats on a well-earned buck!

• Like 1

Congrats on a well-earned buck!

thanks buddy. Well earned is right. Knew I was in average shape but going up and down those hills for two days was an eye opener.
  • Like 5

Great buck, got love the lever action ... What cal. Is it?

Its a .243, can't recall if its a 1956 or 1957 model but, my dad bought it for mom new so she could hunt too. It's brought down a lot of game and three species of deer.
  • Like 2

Gettin tough as We get old, but still gotta do it. Congrats to all involved..........BOB!

• Like 1

Congratulations Tim. That mountain looks awful familiar. Thanks for sharing that story and pictures. Way to get it done.

TJ

• Like 1

Congratulations Tim. That mountain looks awful familiar. Thanks for sharing that story and pictures. Way to get it done.

TJ

Thanks sir,

Betcha that 'turret' looking mtn on the right brings back some memories.

Congrats on a nice buck.

• Like 1

Congrats! That's one nice buck!

• Like 1

Congratulations!

thanks man, hope you can join us for the archery hunt.

Nice buck! Good write-up of a great hunt. Congratulations on the success and making of new friends. Like the rifle too!

• Like 1