what if I sneak up on them and they catch me and when they fly away I shoot them? is that ok? LOL pond jumping is fun.

Pshhh... pathetic!!

Only a peasant would shoot them flying away. The only acceptable way to kill a duck is to give them a gentlemanly greeting with your kazoo, tip your hat, and an give an honorable bow. If they accept your invitation to join your decoy orgy and commit to landing nearby, you can ONLY shoot them if they have locked wings, are no more than 15yds above the water and at a total range of no more than 30yds. If one is allowed to land because there are others still working you, and those other birds flare, you've got to let the one on the water go because you should be ashamed you didn't finish the flock. If you wound a bird and it hits the water, you can't dispatch it on the water either. Better have a good retriever!

• Like 2

what if I sneak up on them and they catch me and when they fly away I shoot them? is that ok? LOL pond jumping is fun.

why not??!!

ethics are just opinions... everyone has their own or not.

some think salt is unethical for deer and elk..... some say long range rifle hunting is unethical or shooting your bow 100yds.

As 6A nut says...

"just because someone doesn't hunt the way you do, doesn't mean they're doing it wrong"

James

• Like 5

Personally, I love water swatting ducks. Right after they decoy into the spread and right before my retriever brings them back.

I'm a waterfowl slob and snob, to each their own.

And back on track -

Here is my most prized bird from this season, an amazing shot by my wife that soared crippled way over the pond, with an even more amazing retrieve by Drake after 31 other birds and 2 long days of hunting, through the most physically demanding conditions my dog has faced in his 5 years.

post-3844-0-10522000-1454706602_thumb.jpg

Best thing I've read in the thread, It's not the bird it's the experience.

• Like 5

Pshhh... pathetic!!

Only a peasant would shoot them flying away. The only acceptable way to kill a duck is to give them a gentlemanly greeting with your kazoo, tip your hat, and an give an honorable bow. If they accept your invitation to join your decoy orgy and commit to landing nearby, you can ONLY shoot them if they have locked wings, are no more than 15yds above the water and at a total range of no more than 30yds. If one is allowed to land because there are others still working you, and those other birds flare, you've got to let the one on the water go because you should be ashamed you didn't finish the flock. If you wound a bird and it hits the water, you can't dispatch it on the water either. Better have a good retriever!

Everyone on here complains abouth ethics yet apparently shooting sitting ducks is cool. Wow.

Pshhh... pathetic!!

Everyone on here complains abouth ethics yet apparently shooting sitting ducks is cool. Wow.

I agree, we are a weird bunch of people at times:)

• Like 1

this thread is funny. i didnt know there were so many styles, rules, methods to duck hunting. honestly i dont know any other way of doing it. (i just recently got into it because of a friend). im more interested in the terms that are being used in this thread cause i dont have a clue what they mean.

what is the ethical way of shooting ducks? seriously? especially here in the desert?

A few years ago on one jump shot pond, I took a wood duck, two pintail, a canvasback, and a drake mallard.

You do know you can only legally hold 3 shells right? :ph34r:

if a cop didnt see it, I didnt do it. I got the cavasback and the drake when they circled around

this thread is funny. i didnt know there were so many styles, rules, methods to duck hunting. honestly i dont know any other way of doing it. (i just recently got into it because of a friend). im more interested in the terms that are being used in this thread cause i dont have a clue what they mean.

what is the ethical way of shooting ducks? seriously? especially here in the desert?

Nobody said a bunch of rules, one rule. No shooting ducks off the water.

Edit: I only brought that up, to help you all out. keep shooting them off the water if you want. That's your own problem.

Thanks!

But I am still trying to figure out how everyone who doesn't shoot ducks in the water hunt them here in AZ?

Thanks!

But I am still trying to figure out how everyone who doesn't shoot ducks in the water hunt them here in AZ?

Scout. Get to the hunting grounds well before legal shoot time. Set up "the spread," by placing decoys of varying species and number to create as much realism as possible with the intention of directing birds into shooting distance or, "the hole" you would like to see the birds lands in. Set up a place to hide really well near "the hole," whether you build your own "blind" on the spot with native vegetation, have a layout blind (like hunting out of a coffin), a boat blind setup, whatever it takes.

Drake has his own place in the boat blind.

post-3844-0-47096400-1454951479_thumb.jpg

Obviously it still requires effort and some degree of scouting, but jumping tanks is like road hunting deer in my opinion. Not passing any judgement on how others enjoy shooting game, but at least for me, there is a much different reward felt for outsmarting critters into their demise instead of coming across them and pulling the trigger.

• Like 3