Best part of duck hunting is watching them lock up over some decoys but to each there own, if it's not illegal you won't here me complaining. I only try to kill what we call are big ducks leave the spoonies and divers for the lil ones.

• Like 1

Shooting ducks sitting on water may be legal, but god dang is it classless....

thanks. I just got into AZ duck hunting in December. Nobody taught me anything about it. I just went out and glassed every pond I could find and if it had ducks i would stalk them. I felt that if i was able to get within the range of my shotgun (<35 yards) i would shoot them on the water. Im very sorry if you think this is classless, maybe you should teach me how to properly shoot ducks. I sure know my way around a shotgun and wouldnt mind proving it.

I thought maybe you learned from your "sick of hearing about you miss" thread that just because you think you have higher standards than some of us that you shouldnt look down your nose at us.

Thanks again for the comment though.

• Like 4

Duck hunting is fun regardless of how you shoot them!!!!

Guys that b*tch about people harvesting birds legally in a way that is "below them" are simply jealous you are shooting birds, and have more than likely pulled the trigger on ducks sitting on water themselves... internet "mega-ethical" hypocrites.

Best part about duck hunting is you can do it however you want. I've shot my share of stuff on the water. I've even shot some spoonies! The trips out and the memories you make are the best part doesn't matter whether they're flying, sitting, decoying or jumping. My best memory from this fall (which included some serious corn field mallard hunts where we limited in a matter of minutes) was a flock of about 200 spoonies that cued up in front of three of us at about 8 yards. We were slow so we decided to let them have it as they floated in the wind in front of us. They flared right over us instead of back and away. Three guns dropped 8 drakes out of the flock. Yes they were spoonies but that image will forever be burned in my mind!

• Like 3

Shooting ducks sitting on water may be legal, but god dang is it classless....

thanks. I just got into AZ duck hunting in December. Nobody taught me anything about it. I just went out and glassed every pond I could find and if it had ducks i would stalk them. I felt that if i was able to get within the range of my shotgun (<35 yards) i would shoot them on the water. Im very sorry if you think this is classless, maybe you should teach me how to properly shoot ducks. I sure know my way around a shotgun and wouldnt mind proving it.

I thought maybe you learned from your "sick of hearing about you miss" thread that just because you think you have higher standards than some of us that you shouldnt look down your nose at us.

Thanks again for the comment though.

its ok, were all gonna make it brah.

you dont really think its fun to shoot them off the water do you?

Guys that b*tch about people harvesting birds legally in a way that is "below them" are simply jealous you are shooting birds, and have more than likely pulled the trigger on ducks sitting on water themselves... internet "mega-ethical" hypocrites.

lets get one thing straight. not one person in this thread or reading this thread who has done any real duck hunting is jealous of a guy shooting mud ducks off the water. if anything they feel sorry for him and just want him to know, he said its his first time duck hunting.

edit: arizona bird hunters are funny. none of you are welcome to hunt in South Dakota with me. dudes would be shooting pheasants off the ground

• Like 4

I'm a wanta be duck hunter. I thought when I retired I would have time to really get in to it. It didn't happen this year and I'm shooting for a chance next year. Here is a picture of the only goose I ever shot on Apache Lake. I think this was back in the 80's. The lake was way down and these were just off shore. I snuck along the shore line and then ran like he!! at them. I covered 100yrds in nothing flat and was lucky I got this as they took to the air. No way could I pull that off now. I'm the one on the left along with my brother and good friend.

post-1903-0-70918400-1454690668_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

MAN THAT BEARD IS AWESOME, TJ. We need to get a duck hunt set up next year at location X. I guess we can bring BigBrowns along as well. I never made it out this year again just too many hunts but im not complaining.

• Like 2

I'm proud to shoot mud ducks off the water, doves off the power lines and wouldn't hesitate shooting a pheasant off the ground.

Well to be fair We just drive the car into the field and shoot the pheasants on the fly out the window

• Like 2

Guest akaspecials

Patrick,

I know you're fairly young and new to duck hunting. We've all been there, so calm down, listen, and learn something:

1. Shooting ducks off the water is considered unethical in most bird hunting circles. It's not sporting. It's kinda like shooting a high fence deer, a stocked pheasant, or an animal over bait. Just cause it's legal doesn't mean someone has to agree that it is right to do. If you want to do it, do it, don't be surprised if you're shunned by some hunters. And don't be surprised if an old timer won't take you under their wing for something like that.

2. Most duck hunting occurs in areas with a lot of people crammed into small areas (like dove hunting). You should get in the habit of not ground swatting birds or shooting directly across bodies of water where other hunters could be. I've been hit multiple times and let me assure you, ricochets and line drives of steel fucking hurt! Keep your shots in the air where falling shot is less likely to hurt someone.

3. If you ever hunt with people that have dogs, you better keep your shots in the air. I watched a guy have to find another ride home cause he was dispatching cripples while my friend's dog was on retrieve and he didn't realize it. He almost hit the dog! Most dog handlers will flip if you shoot something on the water/ground because they are worried about their dogs. Best get out of the habit now if you're ever gonna work with dogs...

4. Half a ducks vitals are underwater when they sit. Ideally you kill a duck by hitting it's head, but a lot of ducks are brought down by pellets hitting their soft underside that is only accessible when they fly. You'd be amazed how protective a ducks wings and feathers are. I've ironically watched a fair number of sitting ducks get away (especially when they are shot right at the edge of someone's effective limit.)

5. Shooting ducks on water increases the chance of damaging decoys. The only ducks worth risking damaging my decoys are a Woody in AZ or a Bull Sprig with a 12 inch tail... Other people of course have different limits.

You're hunting tanks without dogs so you can probably ignore 2, 3, and 5, but it's good to get into the habit and I just wanted to let you know in case you go duck hunting with avid hunters.

Realize that when someone makes a comment disparaging something, there is a probably a good reason and if you take everything so personally you're gonna have a heart attack before you're 40. I'm glad to see you're hunting instead of doing what most 16 year olds are up to, but don't forget that you still have a lot to learn...

you dont really think its fun to shoot them off the water do you?

Yes, I shoot ducks on the water, the ground and in the air. I don't have problem with it and I could care less if anyone likes it or not. I've had a bunch of really fun days with my Son and Brother in law shooting ducks on the water. My son shot his first Drake Mallard & Drake Pintail this year on the water. Those are great memories we will all have forever!

Sure, I would love to have spots where I could decoy ducks, but I don't. Therefore I do the best with what I have! Even if I had great decoy spots I'm sure I would still jump tanks, because it's fun!

Adam

• Like 1

what if I sneak up on them and they catch me and when they fly away I shoot them? is that ok? LOL pond jumping is fun.

• Like 1